Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 05:56 AM

Default Deepish $1/$2, what to do with these Queens?

Hero has been playing a touch aggressively, opening a lot of pots pre-flop and is not shy about raising his hands post-flop. Hero has folded to a couple of reraises post-flop but hasn't been put to the test often pre-flop. Villain is easily the other most aggressive player at the table and the only one who seems to play back at Hero. Hero suspects he has been pushed off the best hand once or twice already.

Hero has a fat stack of $400+ in this $1-$1-$2 blinds $50 buy-in game. Villain has > $200. Villain is losing in the game but doesn't seem tilty; he's bought back in several times and run his $50 back up. Villain has shown a great willingness to put his chips in the middle and has made several turn check-raises and other moves that are unusual in this game but every time he's had to show his cards, he's had a real hand. In other words, Villain has been very active but not stupid. Villain has not been caught very far out of line post-flop but has moved in pre-flop more than anyone else at the table.

On to the hand: a couple of people leave the game in between hands, bringing us down to five- or six-handed (I am not sure which). Villain has been yucking it up with his buddy who is losing a lot and just as the first card goes into the air after the other players have gotten up, Villain announces "Alright, the table is getting short-handed! Time to play more aggressive poker!" The cards are dealt, Villain's buddy raises to $10 UTG and Villain announces all-in, grabbing stacks of chips and putting them in the middle.

Hero looks down and finds Queens.

Villain's buddy is losing badly but he's reasonably tight pre-flop. Villain's buddy has a real hand to be raising UTG (let's say KQ or better) but does not look happy that Villain has gone over the top so Hero is not thinking Aces or Kings, here. Villain's buddy has ~$100. What's Hero's move?

SpaceAce
Old 11-16-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Deepish $1/$2, what to do with these Queens?

Instacall.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:56 AM

i would call also, dont think he has an over pair because he stated before he got his hand. we are going to play some agressive poker. would call this because i think, maybe he has overcards but then also you are the favourite
Old 11-16-2005, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Instacall.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2005, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'd like to hear more. Also, does Villain's friend's chip stack effect your decision and is there a depth where you no longer feel calling is correct? If so, how deep is that?

SpaceAce
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 PM

dont turn down money! CALL!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:38 PM

I see no one else has anything to say. I was the villain in this hand and I actually picked up Aces. Hero agonized a LONG time and said "If you only knew what I had here" then folded. Hero had the dealer peek and the dealer said something to the effect of "You're the second person I've seen fold that hand." After the hand, I guessed Queens, Hero confirmed and I believe him. I am surprised (and disappointed) that he layed it down.

In the hand, my buddy grimaced and said he had a real hand. I told him I believed him. When my buddy asked if I would show, I refused (I didn't want Hero to see it without paying) and my friend called me with JJ. So, I made some money but not as much as I wanted to. Most people seem to think this is a call with QQ so I think the play was good. Too bad I didn't get called by the big stack.

SpaceAce
Old 11-16-2005, 11:08 PM

the fact that ur posting this and emphasing all the details means he has u beat, either Kings or Aces
Old 11-16-2005, 11:15 PM

also another thing if u whip out ur cock and show it to him and looks away very quickly(assume he doesnt normally like seeing u do this) hes most likely bluffing, if he looks confused like what r u doin, he has a hand.
Also: if he looks like he wants to bite the thing off for a second, he has the nuts, otherwise if he stared @ it like he wants to bite it for about 5 or more seconds, he might be a homosexual.

PS If he also whips out his penis and tells u he has the nuts, tell him u believe him, but are going to suck out on him.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 PM

I don't call huge overbets preflop with QQ. Unless it is an established maniac (ie. pushing all-in every 3 hands or so), not someone who says they are going to start being a maniac.