Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Sorry, another stats/running bad post

I'm sorry to post yet another stats thread. I've noticed people seem to be pretty charitable in these threads, though, and I'm doing a bit of soul searching at the moment.

I've been playing online seriously for about 6 months now. Always in the past 3/6 6 max on party. I've had a winrate at that level of around 1.6bb/100 over 100,000 hands.

Anyway, a couple of times I've moved up to 5/10, and every time I've been slaughtered. At the same time, though, I cannot convince myself that I'm being outplayed. For one thing, the jump from 3/6 to 5/10 is marginal, secondly, my opponents on 5/10 have pretty remarkably poor stats, and third, the beats just seem insane. I've moved up three times in the past, and every time these facts have struck me. But I don't want to convince myself it's just running bad if in fact I'm not cut out for it. I'm quite happy at 3/6, after all, but I would like to move up.

So, I was hoping I might get some responses as to whether my stats look okay. These are for a 200bb down swing that ran over an 8,000 hand stretch. I've never lost >2BB/100 over a session of this size before. Is it likely varience, or probably bad play on my part? If it is bad play, is it likely that I have failed to make some transition required for moving from 3/6 to 5/10?

I've also included some stats from the misc stats section in case that might give some indication of whether I'm running bad.

Cheers.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Sorry, another stats/running bad post

Looks like you're running bad. Not uber bad, but poor. No reason to ignore the other problems, though.

First of all, you need to get a bigger sample size up. 8k doesn't really mean anything. But from what's here:

- You're way too tight. Some people like 22/16 stats, some people like 30/20 stats. Some like an intermediate. You've got 20/16. You need to find more good spots to get in there.

- Probably related to the above, you don't attempt to steal anywhere close to often enough. You're at 24%, the bare bones minimum is 30%. Open way the hell up when you're on the button or one off.

- River aggression is super low. More value bets, sir.

- Flop aggression is really high. Calm down.

Those are your biggest leaks, and they're stuff you'll have to correct right away.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:48 PM

Thanks for a very helpful reply.

I was aware of value betting and flop aggression, but I always thought my preflop play was pretty solid. Is there that much of a difference between 22/16 and 20/16? I guess I should start limping a few extra hands...

I'll have a bit of a look for info on blind stealing as well.

Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I should start limping a few extra hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Ah! NOOO! That would be counterproductive. Limping never solved anything. Should you start making an appropriate amount of steals that will raise your VPIP signficantly.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:54 PM

folded to BB steal looks a little high
Old 11-13-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I should start limping a few extra hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

No! Ah! NOOO! That would be counterproductive. Limping never solved anything. Should you start making an appropriate amount of steals that will raise your VPIP signficantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right... So go from 20/16 to 22/18, rather than 22/16... Or am I missing something?

Another thing, I'm pretty sure I call on the river too much. It's fairly safe to say the river's my weakest street, actually. What sort of range is appropriate for "called a river bet?"
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 PM

You're not running bad IMO. You're playing bad. You're too tight PF in late position and you're BB play is quite bad. You need to defend more. You're post flop play isn't good either. 3.7 flop AF is just way too high. You're likely not calling enough. You probably had marginal success at 3/6 running people over but as you move up you have to give those bad aggressive players some rope to hang themselves. And in the future don’t make stats posts that consist of 8K hands.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:04 AM

To the above poster:

8k hands may not be enough for a winrate, but it certainly is enough to make comments on (As you did yourself, and everyone else did) don't play the #hands game when theres certainly a lot of useful information that he can learn (winrate excluded) from the stats he posted
Old 11-14-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To the above poster:

8k hands may not be enough for a winrate, but it certainly is enough to make comments on (As you did yourself, and everyone else did) don't play the #hands game when theres certainly a lot of useful information that he can learn (winrate excluded) from the stats he posted

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not really enough for blind defence. Besides stats only tell you obvious things. Besides the reason he's posting this is that he lost 2K in 8K hands. That's pretty common for anyone that plays a lot of hands. 8K is practically a week for me. I’ve run worse then this over 8K.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:17 AM

The most glaring leak I can see as others have wrote is your attempt to steal blinds.

You should be adding about 1/3 more hands than you are already stealing with. That would put you at 35-37% which is good at 5-10.