Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Am I losing my mind or was this an easy fold?

A bunch of limpers to me in late position, I raise with black Queens. Six of us see the flop. The flop is K46, all red. The first player bets, two players call with two people left to act behind me and I fold.

I have been getting hammered mercilessly in the online low limit games, lately. I lost almost $800 at $2/$4 and $3/$6 yesterday and last week, I had a $1,000 downswing in two days. This seemed like a good place to just let go of my hand instead of getting sucked into a situation that would just drain bets out of my stack. Of course, 54o took it down when A2o bet the whole way and there was no King to be found.

I just want a sanity check. This fold is fine, right? With all the beats I have been taking, I live in mortal terror of people betting into me or raising because I seem to have the second best hand 100% of the time no matter what we started with. I want to make sure I am not turning into a weak-tight pansy.

SpaceAce
Old 05-24-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Am I losing my mind or was this an easy fold?

This fold is probably OK but then you gave no reads. Your thought process and mentality after the last two days sound like a problem though to be honest. I'd take a day or two off if I were you.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:08 PM

I raise that flop, see what happens. I'd probably continue to bet the turn and then take a free showdown.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise that flop, see what happens. I'd probably continue to bet the turn and then take a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:28 PM

Your fold is fine. Even if your hand is best now, there are many cards that you don't want to see. One of your queens may be no good.

I have no problem with your fold.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That "free" showdown looks to cost you 2 BB if everything goes perfect, in a situation where you may have callers behind you and who may bet when you check the river.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That "free" showdown looks to cost you 2 BB if everything goes perfect, in a situation where you may have callers behind you and who may bet when you check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Free as in I don't put a bet in on the river. I think we're ahead here pretty often and wanna get some value out of the flush draws. Often times a weak king will shutdown and calldown, so I don't want to put a bet in on the river where I'm not getting much (if any) value. I don't think it's very likely that a mid pair is calling down this hand because the mid pairs are so low.

It was a loose framework for a play. If I get cold callers on the flop, it will probably change my line. Alot of things could happen that change it though, an A falling on the turn, the flush coming in, someone keeping the gas on.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a loose framework for a play. If I get cold callers on the flop, it will probably change my line. Alot of things could happen that change it though, an A falling on the turn, the flush coming in, someone keeping the gas on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I like the fold. So many things can happen you wont like, and this assumes you're even ahead now. THREE players have already said they like something about this flop, two more left to act. If I raise, there's a good chance a flush draw is three-betting, and then I like my hand absolutely nil even though I may still be ahead because I just don't know enough. Too many players and not enough hand.

I like the fold.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like the fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:03 PM

This seems to be a very weak-tight fold with a pot THIS size. First player and two players behind him are on a flush draw definitely. Raise this flop, re-evaulate on turn.

Don't post results. If you're having a rough time and are seeing monsters, TAKE SOME TIME OFF.

Edit: looks like disagreements on whether to fold or continue. I'm routinely raising this in a pot this large and re-evaluating based on flop action and the turn card. Is this a leak? Anyone else? Why give credit based on a simple bet and two calls?