Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Sorry, another stats/running bad post

[ QUOTE ]
To the above poster:

8k hands may not be enough for a winrate, but it certainly is enough to make comments on (As you did yourself, and everyone else did) don't play the #hands game when theres certainly a lot of useful information that he can learn (winrate excluded) from the stats he posted

[/ QUOTE ]

All you can really see is if someone is doing something horribly wrong - there's very little besides vague generalities that can be offered... nearly anyone who thinks about making a stats post would be better served by posting specific hands or situations that have been difficult. Additionally, it's in the posting guidelines that stats posts below 30k hands are discouraged specifically because they are so uninformative.

Additionally, all positional information is nearly irrelevant over this size sample.

I hope things turn around for the original poster - post some more hands and postflop situations (that's where the money is) and get hands in, you'll turn it around.

Surf
Old 11-14-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides the reason he's posting this is that he lost 2K in 8K hands. That's pretty common for anyone that plays a lot of hands. 8K is practically a week for me. I’ve run worse then this over 8K.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I asked in my original post whether this sort of loss can be expected over an 8k stretch. I haven't been playing long, and it's been quite a distressing weekend for me. I also included only an 8k sample because that was the bad run, and I wanted to look at the stats from the game I was getting slaughtered in.

Anyhow, I'll learn from my mistake... bigger sample size in the future. I appreciate the responses I've received. One last question though: Have others found that there is a discernable difference in standard between 3/6 and 5/10 on party that requires an adjustment in play? As I say, I've moved up three times from 3/6, where I win well (despite the leaks) and every time has been nasty.

Cheers.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 AM

Hey Michaelson,

if you are picky about your tables the 5/10 is almost as soft as the 3/6. It's slightly more aggressive so the swings can be more intense - but 8k really is such an incredibly small sample...it's common to have a winning player breakeven for 10k or even 15k. The long run is really long, and the only solution is to log thousands and thousands of hands playing your best poker, while improving your game on a daily basis.

Good luck,

Surf
Old 11-14-2005, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the encouragement.

The tables, to me, look just as soft as 3/6. Certainly feels that way when I look at the hands that beat me time and time again. But having blown about a month and a half's profits on 3/6 in the space of 3 days and 10k hands, I'm waving the white flag and moving back down. Will work on game extensively over summer holidays and make the move back up when I have a bigger bankroll and more confidence.

Really quite demoralizing, but I guess dem's de breaks in gambling life. Thankyou for everyone's advice, I hope to become a regular contributer over the coming months

Cheers.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
t's common to have a winning player breakeven for 10k or even 15k. T

[/ QUOTE ]

try 20k hands and 400bb downswing. you could argue i was not a winning player at the time tho although i had stellar results prior. fun game no doubt.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
t's common to have a winning player breakeven for 10k or even 15k. T

[/ QUOTE ]

try 20k hands and 400bb downswing. you could argue i was not a winning player at the time tho although i had stellar results prior. fun game no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't start with me Victor. 400BB downswing, results in 38k breakeven. I get above water and go into a 200 BB downswing. Total? 60k breakeven. I own you at running bad [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Seriously though I hope things turn around. Send me a PM if you want to talk shop sometime.

Surf
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 AM

Or as a counter arguement, you should be defending more.