Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 12:16 PM

Default HU Holdem Shoot Out

Has anyone run a Heads up Holdem Shoot Out tourney?

Out of all the home players that we have here what kind of interest do you all have in something like this?

I have been thinking about maybe changing up the monthly tourney a little bit and maybe throwing one of these in from time to time.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome
Old 10-18-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: HU Holdem Shoot Out

I personally am not interested in this type of tournament, neither are my players.

Our group (14 or so friends) gets together for poker tournaments roughly once every couple weeks throughout the winter (maybe once a month in the summer). We are all pretty close friends and we usually get 10 players each week.

To mix things up, we hold larger tournaments (18 players) where we open the tournament to friends of friends.

It's all about the social aspect of the game. A HU tourny is just too cut throat for our players. We don't play home tournaments to make money or beat each other. It really doesn't matter to us who wins or who loses.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the response. It is a different tournament that is for sure. More of a kill or be killed game.

I usually have a tournament once a month and I get anywhere from 10 to 30 people playing. Some are serious some are not. It is still very much a social game though.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 03:31 PM

I think it would be silly for a home game. Unless you did like a tournament structure like NBC did when they did theirs earlier this year.

Then at least the stakes are a little higher, and people would be playing for first and not just playing to end it.

Random heads up matchups would be pretty boring. It could be all over in 1-5 hands, or it could be some 30-60 minute grind out. But regardless, it limits the spectrum of skill involved, and IMO fun involved.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:24 PM

I ran a heads up bracket tournnament last march during march madness (before NBC did theirs) and it was a moderate success. I think everyone had a good time.
If I were to do it again I would make sure to have a second set of chips there so that as people got busted out they could play a cash game.

-Yarney
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM

I like these, but many of the home gamers I play with probably wouldn't dig it at all. The game is about 24 players, and I'd figure maybe 7 or 8 would go for it. I've heard a few of them mention that they do something similar where they work. Perhaps start a mini-shootout after the main game when you get six or seven bust-outs and see how it goes.