Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Do I need to quit boozin?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm definitely about to seriously cut back on my drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of definitely the post of the day. Pretty much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That sounds like a lot for your situation. Why do you think you drink so much?

On a related note, your wife will get sick of this routine in pretty short order.

You know who OOT needs right about now? Bison, that's who. OOT needs advice in a bad way, it sounds like.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Chief O'Hara! Dash to the roof! Flash the Bison Signal!"

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL
Old 09-26-2005, 03:58 PM

awesome
Old 09-26-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am married and my wife just visits her mom or friends and leaves me alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

how often do you two have sex?

my advice: more sex, less beer.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And you are drinking enough to develop brain problems if you keep it up. The last thing you want to do is wind up remembering when you were smarter, and wishing you could think at a level that has become unavailable to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Story of my dad. My ballpark estimate is that his IQ's dropped thirty points since I was a kid. Sad deal. Don't let it happen to you.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:11 PM

I quit about 4 years ago.

I don't know if you should quit but I do know you can find out real easy. Just quit for a while and see if you find it difficult. Quit for a good 6 months just so you have time to see what if any difference it makes.

You are going to be very surprised if you do indeed have an alcohol problem, as life will be so much easier after you quit for a month or 2. Plus you will look and feel much better.

The fact that you need a reason or the encouragement of others to convince you to try quitting is a bad sign. Why is the thought of quitting so daunting that you need an important reason to do it? Just try it and see for yourself what results you get. Or are you more attached to the drinking than you are admitting here?

I drank less often than you do but I drank about the same amount you do when I did drink. I had lots of little problems in my life. Work, personal, and minor health problems.

The people I worked with, my family and even my doctor knew how often and how much I drank. I asked them all if they thought my problems could be due to the drinking and they all said they did not think so. They said life is just hard for everyone and I was going through a rough patch and things would improve.

But for some reason I felt the drinking had to go so I quit. The change was immediate and impossible to ignore. In less than 3 months all my problems were gone. I still have problems but they are tiny and I can deal with them easily.

I read somewhere that depression cannot be properly diagnosed if the patient is a heavy drinker. I think they implied that all heavy drinkers are depressed to some degree.

Anyways sorry for the long preachy post here. I don't really know what is good for other people but I wanted to share my experience as it was startling how much quitting drinking helped me.

The most amazing part is even though my co-workers, family and my doctor have noticed and remarked at how great I look and how much happier I seem now they often offer me a drink. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM

18 beers? you can do better than that. me and my friends like to keep the bar high, 20+ drinks
Old 09-26-2005, 04:20 PM

thanks for the earnest replies. I will try to quit. I've tried quitting before, when I blacked out. Blacking out scared me a lot, I figured it was b/c I drank hard liquor also ( vodka, bourbon). I have not blacked out since I stuck to only beer, but I'm tired of coming to work hung over and feeling like crap in the morning. Also over 20 bucks a day on beer can get expensive after a while.
I guess I will say goodbye to old Sam Adams for a while.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:42 PM

"how often do you two have sex?

my advice: more sex, less beer. "

About 3x week. Married 8 years. Ironically the sex is better when I've had a few beers, b/c I last longer.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

how often do you two have sex?

my advice: more sex, less beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

About 3x week. Married 8 years. Ironically the sex is better when I've had a few beers, b/c I last longer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Classic rationalization. Keep going on this track and your staying power will turn to whiskeydick and then divorce court.

Had you mentioned the blackouts earlier I would have skipped the Bison Signal. You don't need BB to tell you that it's time to get on the wagon. You know it is. For a month. At least. Take some of the $20/day you save a and buy your wife some flowers.