Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: RFID tracking in Calif. school

It is very disturbing technology to say the least. But of course you start it in the schools. Schools are the training ground of control for the human condition. You certainly aren't going to hear about a bunch of retirement homes suddenly tagging the old folks.

It's very interesting to watch tracking technology creep in. And many are ok with it. Why is it justified by knowing if the kids are "in the loo" or smoking behind the building, or whatever? I am willing to bet none of us had these tracking devices when we were in school. Did we not make it through ok? Where are the stories of children suddenly vanishing into thin air on school property? I know kids go missing, but 9/10 its a disgrunteled parent.
No, the schools are where it starts. Locker searches, metal detectors, cameras, and now RFID tags. It moves from the class room, into society.

Imagine an Orwellian society, in the very near future, where every single American is given an implant at birth that is used for tracking. Sure, you say, I can use it to buy goods, and store medical records and other supposed conviences. But imagine, people being able to track every single thing you do, every single moment of the day. When you got up, when you went to the bathroom, when you checked the mail, whats in your mail, whats in your kitchen for breakfast, if you are late for work, etc..... And the moment you leave your house, you are subjected to the thousands of micro-cameras that are in all public places. And all of this information goes into a database. Some supercomputer somewhere with an icon for every single living American. One click of a button and that persons location and entire string of activity back to birth can be brought up.

This is slavery in its most amazing form. And its not science fiction. It's the 21st century.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Agree with Il Mostro

This is what I would have said if I was as eloquent with words as you are, M.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:42 PM

I disagree with you on this one MMMMMM. I say track the little rugrats 24/7. It might be a beginning to the end of crime, or at the very least unsolved crimes.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:01 PM

This is a terrible idea, and it isn't even close.

Straight out of Soviet Russia.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with you on this one MMMMMM. I say track the little rugrats 24/7. It might be a beginning to the end of crime, or at the very least unsolved crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed it very likely would solve and prevent some crimes. It is hard to imagine that it would not do at least some good in that vein.

But what about when and if those in government become the criminals? Power tends to corrupt and absolute power even more so.

Frankly, I'm less scared of crime than of a potentially Orwellian future where the government can do anything it wants to anybody. Yes I know it seems like a longshot at this point but political landscapes have a way of changing over time.

So you may be more concerned about crime whereas I am not discontent to take my chances against crime. At least versus criminals you are permitted to fight back (for the present, anyway;-).

As government powers are expanded, the more attractive government work becomes to those seeking power. I just don't trust most humans to not exploit power over others once they achieve it. That said, to some degree it is necessary to repose a modicum of trust in public and elected officials. But I wouldn't want them having complete real-time data and control over every citizen, either.

Of course, RFID chips and schoolkids is a long ways from an Orwellian future, as long as it stops at that or thereabouts. I don't trust it to stop there, though. I don't trust politicians and I don't trust many in law enforcement. If they have more power I find it hard to imagine they would not become more abusive with it.

As for preventing the little rugrats from causing trouble in our schools, perhaps teachers should again be permitted to paddle trouble-making students;-) I'll bet that would be more effective in curbing their bad behaviors than would any sort of monitoring device anyway.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:29 PM

Default If this were to happen in Sweden or France

...posters here would be up in arms about "European big-brotherism" and "Leftist Europeans"!

Because it is happening in the United States, and because there is always the unsaid axiom that "The United States is best", people will find some way to excuse that Californian school's vile policy of treating students like livestock.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: If this were to happen in Sweden or France

[ QUOTE ]
...people will find some way to excuse that Californian school's vile policy of treating students like livestock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Things like this are the inevitable outcome of having government schools.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is what I would have said if I was as eloquent with words as you are, M.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-12-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: If this were to happen in Sweden or France

[ QUOTE ]
...posters here would be up in arms about "European big-brotherism" and "Leftist Europeans"!

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think tracking all you sneaky Europeans would be a great idea. See Cyrus, you just don't recognize a good idea even when it is your own. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 04:32 AM

I don't know if this has been covered yet, I only had a chance to skim the posts above, but I would like to point out that in order for someone to properly take the information off of an RFID tag would be to stand RIGHT next to them. RFID tags do not contain power sources of their own and actually use the ID tag readers own radio signal as a power source.

Therefore in order for the school to keep track of the whereabouts of students, they would have to install tag readers pretty much every other foot of the school all over the walls and on the ground. Even then they would probably only be able to tell that Jimmy was at school, but not know where he was exactly on campus.

Thank you for your time.
vqchuang