Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Club Ettiquettes - would u do business in this situation?

One of the most important skills in live big bet poker is keeping the good games running. This doesnt seem like a problem now, in the midst of a Gold Rush, but in the future having these skills are just as important, if not more so, than your EV in any particular hand - and running cards doesnt change that anyway, as people have already stated.

Or to put it another way, say this guy plays in The World's Softest Private Game. Now you're officially a jerj, what's the chance of you getting an invite? Or say this player, who can easily afford to lose 6 figures a year, now sees the light and realises people just see him as an ATM, and quits for good.

A nice way to look at it is that you are in the entertainment business first, the gambling business second.

Alternate Universe you's are making more money.

gl

Dave
----

Poker Blog!
Old 10-30-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Just To Clarify

THERE IS NO DIRECT EV ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE TO DOING BUSINESS.

If you think that there is, then you must also think that getting AA 30 hands in a row is bad because odds are you'll lose one of them.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Club Ettiquettes - would u do business in this situation?

I run things as many times as they will let me, if asked. I never ask myself though, but I'm not sure why... Variance sucks and the happier you keep the people at your table the longer the action lasts.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Just To Clarify

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Would I be incorrect in saying that given two choices with identical EV you should choose the one with the least variance?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:30 PM

Default CAN SOMEONE ANSWER

WTF DOES IT MEAN TO 'DO BUSINESS' ???????????????????????
Old 10-30-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: CAN SOMEONE ANSWER

[ QUOTE ]
WTF DOES IT MEAN TO 'DO BUSINESS' ???????????????????????

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

For those that are not sure what doing business means....
"doing Business" in a club means the two player agrees to run the Turn and River card more than once - usually 2-3 times then u chop up the pot according to how many times u win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-30-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Would I be incorrect in saying that given two choices with identical EV you should choose the one with the least variance?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's perfectly reasonable. of course, then you should try to do business every time.

In this case, however, I think there is a difference in EV if you factor in later hands because pissing this guy off is probably +EV.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be if there are a bunch of fish at the table with huge stacks. In that case, I may prefer to gamble it up and get a double-stack 1/4 of the time rather than end up with a 50 BB stack most of the time (when I'm on a draw or whatever), since I'll be reloading either way.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:08 PM

I haven't thought too long about the math, but if it's a case where one player is heavily favored, would he not gain some advantage in doing business for the fact that if the dog hits one of his outs on the first or second trials, he has that many fewer outs for the last trial?

I recognize that if the favorite gets there in the first coule trials, he is also that much less favored in the last trial. But I'm thinking of a case where the opponent has a six-outer. For him to win all three trials, he would have to hit half of his outs. (Or more, if he happens to "waste an out" by hitting running quads or something.) For the favorite to win, he doesn't have to come close to finding half his "outs."

I haven't thought this through completely. Perhaps it still doesn't change anything at all.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 AM

You dont shuffle the deck after each run at your club?