Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 02:31 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)
Default Re: What do you think of this hand?

tight blinds i may raise, but not being suited lends me to calling...especially with loose blinds. otherwise, nh.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:00 PM

I like it, especially if you're fairly unknown there, as they might put you on a slowplayed set of queens (some nutjob pfr's will do that with top set), or JJ, and might fold a weak queen for 2 cold. In any case, you protect against a lot of draws. River is close, but I think a fold is best (76 is my guess). Would you have bet the river if checked to?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:16 PM

Exactly the same as I would have played it (preflop depends) , can some experienced players elaborate whats wrong here ?
Old 09-02-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly the same as I would have played it (preflop depends) , can some experienced players elaborate whats wrong here ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing is wrong except the preflop raise. KJo is not looking to build pots here (Imagine a K on the flop instead of the Q, you have now build a pot where every gutshot and 5 outer has the odds to see the turn)and with 3 in already flop fold equity is none existant.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:20 PM

Not much, especially pf.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Wow. Everyone called two cold? Amazing.

The river completed 2 different open-ended straight draws, and this guy just called the turn. He clearly can hold a hand that beats you.

However, getting 18:1 and with the main diamond draw missing... I don't know. Could he bluff a missed diamond draw? Could he bet JT for value? Raising seems to be in play here since you do not want overcalls, and you can reasonably represent a slowplay. Then again, if AJ or a Q is going to call 2 on the turn... won't he just call 2 again on the river? Hmmm... Tough decision!

Good luck.
Eric
Old 09-02-2005, 08:58 PM

Hey Max! Without reading the rest of the posts, I like it a lot.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This was a strange one.

party 15/30

Unknown player limps UTG, MP1 (13.5/6.5/1.9 over 586 hands) limps, Hijack limps, I raise in the CO with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , both blinds and all limpers call. 6 to the flop for 12sb.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I check. 6 to the turn for 6BB

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to the Hijack who bets, I raise, and EVERYONE Colds-calls, Hijack folds. 5 to the river for 17BB

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to MP1 who bets, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you played your hand very well postflop on every street and thats more important than any borderline preflop decision. With that said however, I dont like your preflop play. I think youre better off limping or folding with your KJo hand here given the description of the early limper. I think KJo is a fine hand to raise and punish two loose limpers, but thats not the situation you are in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate letting the blinds in cheap in this situation but that's me. FWIW his pot equity against the limpers was greater than is "fair share" and knocking out the blinds puts some dead money in the pot and increases his chances of winning the hand IMO. I realize that he didn't knock them out but making it more expensive in a situation where his pot equity situation was favorable and the blinds possibly unfavorable (SB more likely than not was unfavorable) all adds up to maing the raise the right play IMO.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:59 PM

i dont like the pf raise. im one of those people who dont like unsuited big cards after a couple of limpers. postflop is good of course.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:43 AM

elindeaur i don't think he can raise the river representing a slowplay, he checked the flop last to act no one will give him credit for anything now. andyfox are you saying he should bet the flop?

is anyone else iffy about the turn raise? there are so many people out there that if someone had a Q they could be going for a c/r, that actually seems kind of likely to me.