Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Donkbet by a pro

Let's look at the most likely case. Say the BB has 98. Currently there are 6 big bets in the pot. If you raise, the two behind you will fold, and the BB will likely 3-bet, and you will call hoping to improve. You're getting 3 to 1 on your money for 8 outs. Implied odds are pretty minimal, since only the 3 Kings give you any hope of more than 1 bet on the river.

This is assuming neither opponent behind you has a real hand. If one of them has a flush draw, you're screwed. If the BB has a set, JT, or two pair with the Queen, you're screwed.

I think that for raising to be right, there needs to be some chance you're currently ahead. Would the BB bet QJ or something like AJ of spades?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:25 PM

OK, you guys are right. In the actual hand I just called and the Button called. I'm sure I had some brilliant reason for just calling but I forgot it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The river was the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It was checked to the button, who bet, the bb folded, I called and the button showed Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

The only hand I can think of that makes sense for the BB is T9.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I don't think I can fold to a 3-bet. I'm not drawing dead most of the time and I have plenty of outs when I'm not drawing dead.

If I'm drawing dead, his turn bet wouldn't make much sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
When a person 3 bets the turn on this board most of the time with your top pair you will be drawing to zero outs if he holds JT or a set, 3 outs if he holds Q9 and 6 outs if he holds Q8. Given this hand range, I think folding to a 3 bet would be the right strategy given the pot odds. If Your opponent is more aggressive than this and would 3 bet other hands like 98, or other top pair type hands than I would call, but i dont think your opponent in this hand would do that, but i could be wrong. And if you do call the 3 bet I think you should seriously consider folding the river if you dont improve. If you feel obligated to call the river becuz of the size of the pot than thats even more reason to fold to the turn when your 3 bet by a sane player
Old 08-29-2005, 02:48 PM

I would not put BB on a monster here. If he has a monster, he would check raise you, and catch the field in the middle.

I think he has a hand where he wants to knock people out. Since you also have such a hand, you should cooperate by raising.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Why you check the river?