Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Sports rules changes you would like to see changed

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if the goalie goes out of his crease to play the puck he should be fair game (now that will impact their safety)... but I simply don't understand how a goalie should be allowed to go into the corner to play the puck and be immune from getting hit. If you don't wanna get hit, stay in the crease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing the goalies then get pissed and start fighting would also be more entertaining. Big brawls make hockey more fun... and it never gets better than seeing 2 goalies attempting to beat the crap out of each other.

I agree with the no red line when hockey finally returns. 2-line pass calls just slow the game down too much.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this rule was put in to combat a rash of injuries sustained by O-linemen, let's change the rule to this: Leap all you want, but if you land on an opponent, it's 15 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is, in fact, the rule. Except that you aren't allowed to land on a teammate or an opponent. Players behind the line are allowed to jump all they want, they just can't land on a player.

Explanation of leaping rule
Old 12-07-2004, 05:22 PM

F the 2-minute warning. Dumbest rule in sports. Even dumber than the DH, because at least there is a reason for the DH.

The only reason I can think of for the 2-minute warning is to allow more commercial time.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:31 PM

I agree that WRs flopping is bad, but that's what replay is for (and if it isn't then it should be).
As for the other rules, sports are primarily a contest, not entertainment. We, as an entertainment based culture, choose to reward our stars with large sums of money. However if the only concern in sports was hitting the biggest homeruns and the hardest tackles, then steroids would be legal. As it stands, they are illegal because it ruins the spirt of compition that makes sports entertaining.

Cody
Old 12-07-2004, 05:34 PM

The two minute warning is there for the same reason that the two point conversion is in place, to allow close games to be a little closer. I don't like the stoppage in play, but I do like the timeout it provides.

Cody
Old 12-07-2004, 05:45 PM

See that is where you are wrong. The purpose of pro sports is entertainment, not competition. Competition is merely a pleasent byproduct.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:53 PM

See I'm not so sure about that. That's because if sports stopped so would "sporting entertainment" yet if people stopped watching football they would still play it (granted without the million dollar paychecks).

Cody
Old 12-07-2004, 05:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I think the NFL should air on the side of letting amazingly athletic plays stand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM

its a catch-22 with the goalie pads. You can make them smaller and keep the goals, or let them be the current size and just widen the goals to compensate. The pads were enlarged due to safety and now are becoming pompous. You can take away their safety arguement by just making the goals bigger and they can still feel as comfortable as they do now with their gaudy oversized equipment. Either way the ratio size of goalie equipment to goal needs to be decreased in either facet.

I agree let the goalies get creamed playin the puck. Let a defenseman go back there and play it and give the offense more of a chance to intercept the clear attempt and have an odd man opportunity with the other defenseman behind the net.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:18 PM

Err

Wanna fight?