Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Main Event Wave Structure

According to CardPlayer.com, the first wave of players will play until there are only 650 remaining or until level 7 is completed, whichever comes last. My question comes from the wave structure they have in place. Consider this scenario:
<ul type="square">[*]Wave 1 adjourns after completing level 8[*]Wave 2 adjourns after completing level 8 -- the catch is that the necessary number of players were eliminated by level 6 (a more volatile group), but they played through level 8 as means to "catch up" with Wave 1[*]Wave 3 adjourns after completing level 10 -- Wave 3 being a much more rock-ish group has actually progressed further in the blind structure than the previous two waves[/list]How does the tournament proceed considering over a third of the players have played more blind levels than the other two-thirds?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Main Event Wave Structure

The third wave players (Day 1C) would never play the extra levels. Why would they?

The second and third day players will stop at the same level the first day players stop.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:43 AM

But say when Wave 3 completes level 8, there are still way more than 650 players remaining, making consolidation for round 2 impossible.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But say when Wave 3 reaches level 9, there are still way more than 650 players remaining, making consolidation for round 2 impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll find the table space.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:33 AM

I don't see a problem with just playing down to 650 each day, regardless of what level it finishes at, then resuming at some predetermined level, even if this means rolling back the blinds for some players.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But say when Wave 3 reaches level 9, there are still way more than 650 players remaining, making consolidation for round 2 impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll find the table space.

[/ QUOTE ]

when they get to that point today and see how close it plays out compared to yesterday, the decision will be made. say you have 850 through 8 today, they'll decide to play out to 650 or call after eight and make table space. table space being the likely solution. they won't wait till the 3rd day.

that being said, these three days will play out almost exactly the same.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:36 AM

I think the Rio will probably do what Dynasty mentioned, but if I were running this tournament and realized that the limitations of space were very strict, I'd run each wave until they've gotten down to 650 and have at least completed level 7 like they did for wave 1. If it took 8 levels for wave 1 to get there, I would not have wave 2 play level 8 if they were under 650 after level 7. And then lets say hypothetically that it took 10 levels for wave 3 to get under 650.

On day 2, I would begin with wave 2 playing level 8. After that level, I would add the wave 1 field. After they've both completed level 10, I would add the wave 3 field.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:30 PM

I've read from a couple other sites that the amount of time for day 1a (7 levels +) will be the same amount of time for Days 1b and 1c. That way when day 2 starts they'll restart the clock in the middle of level 8.

Kevin...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The third wave players (Day 1C) would never play the extra levels. Why would they?

The second and third day players will stop at the same level the first day players stop.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would hope so.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a problem with just playing down to 650 each day, regardless of what level it finishes at, then resuming at some predetermined level, even if this means rolling back the blinds for some players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a stupidest post ever award?