Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Official December goals post

then you shouldn't have wasted that grand like you did today. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
5.) Have a 3.0 for the first semester

[/ QUOTE ]
A 3.0 is incredibly easy, regardless of your school. There might be a select few majors at a select few schools (read: complex engineering at a top 5 engineering undergrad) where it is somewhat difficult, but outside of those, a 3.0 should be a minimum, not a goal.

Gabe, I've come to respect certain aspects of your personality through what I've read here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you blew off school in order to make a ridiculous amount of money with poker. I would be impressed if you blew off some amount of poker in order to take classes that interested you.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:47 AM

1.) Play 25k hands at 10/20
2.) Get ready for a big ass tax bill
3.) Don't run bad
4.) Get my bankroll ready to start off next year at 15/30
Old 11-30-2005, 03:06 AM

Umm...tilt less.

75k hands, $30k, maybe even play better.

But I doubt the last one.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A 3.0 is incredibly easy, regardless of your school. There might be a select few majors at a select few schools (read: complex engineering at a top 5 engineering undergrad) where it is somewhat difficult, but outside of those, a 3.0 should be a minimum, not a goal.

Gabe, I've come to respect certain aspects of your personality through what I've read here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you blew off school in order to make a ridiculous amount of money with poker. I would be impressed if you blew off some amount of poker in order to take classes that interested you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate this adivce, and you are absoltley right, a 3.0 should be a piece of cake. The problem i am having is that as a freshman, my hands are somewhat tied in regards to what courses i can take. While i have a passion for business, the material we cover is stupidly mundane and there is nothing that is hands on. I don't tend to get interested in being lectured, i like getting my hands dirty and figuring stuff out, which i havent had the oppurtunity to do yet in school.

Part of me knows that i need to keep all the doors open, but i'm not going to lie, it's extremely difficult to maintain motivation for school when a good month of poker is more than i will make in a year coming out of undergrad or even grad school. I think i can force myself to get a little more ambitious, but it's a process, the amount of $$$ to be made is a shock to anyone, let alone an 18 year old who worked for $7.10 an hour a year ago. I would like to think i have great perspective and whatnot, but lets face it, i'm a kid and money skews my perspective on things.

I am determined to stay in school, and hopefully i will be able to find an appropriate balance. My ideal scenario is that i make enough from poker to start my own businesses and become a real estate mogul, but the truth is i have no idea where i will be 4 years from now. Regardless, i appreciate your comments, it's always good to have reality checks, because from time to time i need them.

Gabe
Old 11-30-2005, 05:38 AM

1. Move up to 15/30
2. Test people, know when they pass.
3 Play more stud8
4. Start preparing for the LSAT
5. Exercise 20 days.

Monetary target: $10k

I've had hand goals before, but I feel pushing myself to play and meet them when I'm not feeling it is -EV. No posting goals because I'm happy with my amount. I'm calling the $ goal a target hopefully to remind myself that it's just that. Goals are entirely within my control, monetary targets are not.

1. Speaks for itself but I'll feel comfortable soon.

2. Simple and straightforward. First, a lot of the time the other guy has nothing, put him to the test and find out. Second, betting and raising is better than calling. Third, folding is easier if we've done something in the hand.

3. Stud8 is an interesting game and I still suck at it. I remember reading that the very good player can expect to win the large majority of sessions. I think being a very good stud8 player would be a good way to fight holdem swings.

4. Going to take it on 2/6/06, going to do very well(175+), must be well and extensively prepared.

5. Getting too fat, must see lots of people over the holidays, must trim up.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 PM

After 6 weeks of very intermittant to no play, I want to put forth some goals here.

-Finish King Yao's Book (finally).
-Play 12K hands (not a lot but the most for a month in a while)
-Play happily rakeback free. I don't wanna worry or think about rakeback, and I want to play to get better and win some money.
-Stick to successful limits to avoid tilty. I will try and limit myself to 10/20 and 15/30 where I have enjoyed success in the past and stay away from 20 which has pragged me. Just for this month.
-Post/reply to hands again. This is the most important. I want to post at least 15 hands this month that help me as a player. I also want to reply to more.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-Finish King Yao's Book (finally).

[/ QUOTE ]

Took me a while too, not sure why.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.) Get in 25k hands despite finals
2.) Make more than 40k
3.) Run good at 25/50 NL and incorporate that consistently into my playing regime
4.) Keep running good

[/ QUOTE ]

I am changing the monetary goal to 100k.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:21 PM

Move to 10/20.

(It's my goal for December, just not necessarily THIS December.)