Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Ten tournament hands from a Sit N Go player making the transition

I have been making the transition from SnGs to MTTs, and have been having a difficult time (out of the money for the last 20 tournaments in a row). Below are ten hands from a $25 tournament on Empire (170 entrants, top 20 paid). Any comments would be welcome.

#1: AA

I think I made a mistake in this hand, but luckily got away with it.

Blinds (15/30)
UTG ( $1250 )
UTG+1 ( $1480 )
UTG+2 ( $460 )
HERO ( $1075 )
MP2 ( $1635 )
MP3 ( $2070 )
CO ( $1090 )
Button ( $790 )
SB ( $3295 )
BB ( $1375 )

Dealt to HERO: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
3 folds, HERO raises t90, 4 folds, SB calls t75, 1 fold

FLOP (t195) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks.
HERO bets [150].
SB calls [150].

TURN (t495) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks.
HERO checks.

RIVER (t495) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks.
HERO bets [100]
SB calls [100]

#2: QQ

Blinds (25/50)
HERO ( $1340 )
UTG+1 ( $560 )
MP1 ( $1246 )
MP2 ( $920 )
MP3 ( $281 )
CO ( $925 )
Button ( $1945 )
SB ( $1400 )
BB ( $5805 )

Dealt to HERO: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
HERO raises t150, 3 folds, MP3 is all-in t281, 3 folds, BB calls t231, HERO is all-in t1190

#3: A9o

I wasn’t planning on betting the flop, but the flop bet was so weak that I thought I might be able to take the pot down

Blinds (25/50)
UTG ( $560 )
UTG+1 ( $1246 )
MP1 ( $920 )
MP2 ( $868 )
MP3 ( $925 )
CO ( $1945 )
Button ( $1375 )
SB ( $5524 )
HERO ( $1059 )

Dealt to HERO: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
3 folds, MP2 calls t50, 2 folds, Button calls t50, 1 fold, HERO checks

FLOP (t175) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
HERO checks.
MP2 checks.
Button bets t50.
HERO raises to t200.
MP2 folds.
Button calls t150.

TURN (t575) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
HERO is all-in t809

#4: 42o, BB steal

SB was weak. In particular, I remember a hand where he was on the button. Folded around to him. He limped. SB called, BB checked. On the flop, SB checked, BB checked, and he also checked. He folded on the turn to a bet from the SB.

This hand is not very interesting, but it becomes important later on.

Blinds (75/150)
9 players
SB ( $2838 )
BB ( $2793 )

Dealt to HERO: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
7 folds, SB calls t75, HERO raises to t275, SB folds.

Comment from SB: How did I know you would raise?

#5: KQs

I hate this hand, but am clueless as to how I should have played it.

Blinds (75/150)
UTG ( $1022 )
UTG+1 ( $2450 )
MP1 ( $2688 )
HERO ( $2868 )
CO ( $4480 )
Button ( $4204 )
SB ( $5032 )
BB ( $5011 )

Dealt to HERO: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
4 folds, HERO raises to t450, 1 fold, Button calls t450, 2 folds

FLOP (t1125) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
HERO bets t600.
Button calls t600.

TURN (t2325) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
HERO checks.
Button bets t1800.
HERO folds.

#6: 33, BB resteal

One orbit since I raised the SB and irritated him. I thought he was raising me because he felt that he had shown weakness in the last orbit. I didn’t think he had a pair, but probably 2 high cards that he thought were good.

I fully expected him to call this bet. Given that I was low on chips, I was willing to race him.

Blinds (75/150)
9 players
SB ( $2388 )
BB ( $1818 )

Dealt to HERO: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
7 folds, SB raises t225, HERO is all-in t1668, SB folds.

Comment from SB: Imagine fckin that

#7: J5s

I thought there was a decent chance that I had the best hand on the flop, but I wasn’t willing to risk my tournament life on it. But the UTG’s bet on the flop looked too big for the situation, and so I thought that I either had the best hand, or my check-raise could convince him to lay down a better jack.

Blinds (75/150)
UTG ( $8177 )
6 others
SB ( $2163 )
HERO ( $2043 )

Dealt to HERO: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
UTG calls t150, 6 folds, SB calls t75, HERO checks

FLOP (t450) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks.
HERO checks.
UTG bets t450.
SB folds.
HERO is all-in t1893.

#8: KQs

I had a lot of outs on the flop, but the reraise made me think that there was a decent chance that my flush draw was no good.

Blinds (100/200)
UTG ( $5075 )
UTG+1 ( $1863 )
HERO ( $4086 )
MP1 ( $6284 )
MP2 ( $4879 )
MP3 ( $4147 )
CO ( $5111 )
Button ( $1995 )
SB ( $416 )
BB ( $1835 )

Dealt to HERO: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t200, HERO calls t200 3 folds, CO calls t200, 1 fold, SB calls t100, BB checks

FLOP (t1000) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks.
BB checks.
UTG+1 checks.
HERO bets t600.
CO raises to t1800.
3 folds
HERO folds.

#9: AJo

The UTG’s limp worried me, since he seemed to be a solid player who played few hands. I hated the preflop raise, but felt that the odds were too good to pass up.

This is another hand that I don’t think I played well, but really don’t know how I should have played it.

Blinds (100/200)
UTG ( $4090 )
UTG+1 ( $448 )
MP1 ( $4675 )
MP2 ( $1347 )
HERO ( $2686 )
CO ( $8352 )
Button ( $1995 )
SB ( $4847 )
BB ( $8411 )

Dealt to HERO: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
UTG calls t200, 4 folds, HERO calls t200, CO raises to t500, 2 folds, UTG calls t300, HERO calls t300

FLOP (t1800) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG checks.
HERO checks.
CO bets t1000.
UTG folds.
HERO folds.

#10: KK: UTG gets his revenge

This last hand is more of a bad beat post, but I include it for completeness sake. The UTG is the same player whom I raised from the BB when he was in the SB. I believe he called me in this hand because of the previous hands where I had made him fold his hand. So it worked out for me, except for the results.

Blinds (150/300)
UTG ( $2244 )
HERO ( $2636 )
MP1 ( $9202 )
MP2 ( $4150 )
CO ( $8611 )
Button ( $6538 )
SB ( $235 )
BB ( $2075 )

Dealt to HERO: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

PREFLOP
UTG calls t300, HERO is all-in t2636 4 folds, SB calls t85, 1 fold, UTG is all-in t1944

FLOP, TURN, RIVER J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [/b]

UTG shows J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Ten tournament hands from a Sit N Go player making the transition

all looks pretty standard. sorry you are running poorly. why making the change from SNG? I play both ($50's - STT; $20-150 MTT) profitably. I don't see much diff other than you have to be more patient with the MTT's (IMO), and save the shoving for LT +EV for the final table.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:22 PM

The only thing I don't like is the check-raise with A9 hand. On the flop, this is a way ahead, way behind situation. It's possible that Villain's min bet signals a flush draw, but it's quite possibly a better A than yours (and is unlikely to be a worse A than yours). If it is a flush draw, you don't have to blow him off of it on the flop. He's only about 20% to make it on the turn, so I'd check call the flop and then bet out any non-club turn. Making two pair is just icing on the cake, but you still want to bet about 2/3 of the pot to get him to fold a draw or call with bad odds.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:24 PM

didn't look at em all, but hand 3, the A9o hand. Why you want to bet so much on the turn instead of ensuring making some chips? The turn 9 was great, so you're now either way far ahead or way behind (if he's trapping you) with just the one card left. I'd milk the turn bet to make sure the opps weaker hands do pay off something on the turn, instead of the big push.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I don't like is the check-raise with A9 hand. On the flop, this is a way ahead, way behind situation. It's possible that Villain's min bet signals a flush draw, but it's quite possibly a better A than yours (and is unlikely to be a worse A than yours). If it is a flush draw, you don't have to blow him off of it on the flop. He's only about 20% to make it on the turn, so I'd check call the flop and then bet out any non-club turn. Making two pair is just icing on the cake, but you still want to bet about 2/3 of the pot to get him to fold a draw or call with bad odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, we responded to teh same hand.

I don't mind bumping up the flop bet to make sure the 3rd player doesn't stick around with some donk pair for a cheap bet.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's possible that Villain's min bet signals a flush draw, but it's quite possibly a better A than yours (and is unlikely to be a worse A than yours).

[/ QUOTE ]
It's entirely possible it signals nothing at all, a feeble attempt to steal the pot, middle or even bottom pair. I mean, he's the button, it checked to him, so he fires a min-bet. So with that in mind the flop check-raise isn't too bad. I usually lead out rather than check-raise, but there's a strong likelihood hero's hand is good here.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's possible that Villain's min bet signals a flush draw, but it's quite possibly a better A than yours (and is unlikely to be a worse A than yours).

[/ QUOTE ]
It's entirely possible it signals nothing at all, a feeble attempt to steal the pot, middle or even bottom pair. I mean, he's the button, it checked to him, so he fires a min-bet. So with that in mind the flop check-raise isn't too bad. I usually lead out rather than check-raise, but there's a strong likelihood hero's hand is good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a pure bluff, then check-raising doesn't have an advantage over check calling and betting out the turn. Hero has Aces, so if Villain doesn't have a flush draw, there are either 5 (if he's paired a lower card on the board), 2 (if he's got a middle pocket pair), or 0 (if he's got air) cards that could put him ahead on the turn. In other words, there is not a lot of risk to showing this kind of hand another card, and so no need to risk check-raising into a hand that dominates you.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:14 PM

I'll give this a shot. I warn you though, I haven't read any of the replies and I'm *far* from a MTT expert.

#1: AA
I bet a little more on the flop, check the river. I think you have him beat, but I wouldn't want to get check-raised and I don't think there's much he can call with here that you can beat.

#2: QQ
I like this push.

#3: A9o
I wouldn't raise this flop. Although weak flop bets are usually a sign of weakness, this isn't a very favorable board, and I would be a little worried about a CR from MP2.
As for the turn push, given your stack size, it's good I think in light of the 35% rule. I might do the same and hope to get paid from an A or a flush draw.

#5: KQs
I don't like the flop bet here, he might call with a strong diamond or push low diamonds or a strong A.

#6: 33, BB resteal
Gimme the Sbs name, I want him on my fish list.
If you were really sure you don't have any FE, you might consider a stop and go in this spot. Pushing 33 when you're sure you're going to be called doesn't seem like a winning strategy.

#7: J5s
I'd put him on a low pocket pair or a straight bluff with A high here based solely on his flop bet, but you'd have to sit with a guy for a few orbits to be sure about this kind of thing. If he calls you, you're almost certainly beat, or at least hoping to turn or river into a chop, so I don't know about the push. It's just one of those hands where you trusted your read. I would like to know the results on this one though.

#8: KQs
With those odds, I wouldn't mind seeing a call here. He may very well be protecting his trips against the flush.

#9: AJo
I might be tempted to fold to the PF raise here.

#10: KK: UTG gets his revenge
Well played, bad beat. As a side note, many players would consider showing their hand if they don't get any action here, to advertise that they are not always stealling. Some greats use this move quite a bit, so it might be something to consider. Me, I dunno. Had you shown him a premium hand on the last steal would he have been less likely to call you with KJ here? (which, despite your loss, is what you wanted). By the same token however, is it not more likely that next time you raise him you'll be on a steal as opposed to having a hand, so wouldn't you want the credibility? Finally, would showing Kings here really change his opinion that you were on a steal every other time, or impact his assumption that that is the case next time? I dunno, debate amongst yourselves.