Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Going all-in early in a big tourney

In a WCOOP event ($1000 buy-in). 2500 starting chips. Blinds are 10/20. Second hand of the tourney.

Hero is SB. Dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO raises to 80. Button, Hero call along with BB.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to CO. CO bets 400. Button folds. Hero raises to 1000. BB folds. CO goes all-in. Hero's play?

In a single-table S&G, I would call. In a ring-game, I would call.

But in a 1700+ person tourney, how does the risk of being eliminated from the tourney affect the betting. What I mean is that, in a single table S&G, doubling up early is very valuable because you have the large stack early. In a 1700 person tourney, you can get shifted quickly to a table where you're not the big stack any more. And in the big picture, is having 5000 chips that early in a big tourney really that valuable compared to being eliminated?

So do you adjust your play in big tourneys or do you just play the odds?

And do the odds support an all-in call here?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Going all-in early in a big tourney

I'd call this. Granted, this is a lot bigger than I play normally but you were playing for set value, you hit your set and someone's all in on a board without a flush or str8.
I call and expect him to roll over 2 pair or a big A.
If you ran into AA or JJ then that's just bad luck. I'd guess JJ.
If it's one of those at least you have the backdoor flush draw [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is SB. Dealt 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO raises to 80. CO and Hero call, with 2 others.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO bets 400. Hero raises to 1000. Everyone else folds. CO goes all-in. Hero's play?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is confusing..."with 2 others" - were there limpers if front or the CO before his raise of 80? or is it the button and the BB?

"CO bets 400" - did you check your set with the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:59 PM

i call if this was a 10K tourney or a $50k, on TV, on a beach, cruise, wherever. its poker, you have a monster. play to win or take up knitting
Old 09-21-2005, 01:59 PM

I've edited the post to clarify. To answer your question, no limpers. Button and BB called along with Hero. After flop, it was checked to CO. (I was planning to check-raise).

I guess you think that I should have bet out with the two diamonds showing? How much?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:01 PM

make a pot sized bet taking away any drawing odds. your goal is to make it unprofitable to draw against you. with them pushing, you got the best situation as they are making a mistake. if they have jacks or aces, so be it... but the totally misplayed preflop. my guess is that one has a flush draw, the other 2 pair.

I go all in and expect to trip up.

nh
Old 09-21-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to CO. CO bets 400.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a draw-heavy board. I prefer betting out. Plus, the hand might have play differently had you led the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Button folds. Hero raises to 1000. BB folds. CO goes all-in. Hero's play?

[/ QUOTE ]
I call. Without a read, I can't put him squarely on AA or JJ. He could have AJo. He could also have AKo or KdQd. You play 66 to spike a set and you got it. Nobody can fault you for calling.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:25 PM

I fold this, but only if someone has managed to put my dick in a mini-guillotine and has told me that, unless I fold, it's "off with my head."
Old 09-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Default What actually happened

I call. He turns over pocket aces. Turn is a blank. River is a Jack, so I lose with sixes full of Jacks.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 PM

Call, you at least against a higher set you have the runner flush redraw [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].