Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Whats my Line?

Villain is fairly new to the table but i have not seen him make any fishy plays over a 300 hand sample.

Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 2: allen_all_in ( $15.25 )
Seat 3: Villain ( $82.60 )
Seat 4: Hollis83 ( $105.75 )
Seat 5: ScottishAOD ( $98.89 )
Seat 6: Hero ( $41.10 )
Seat 1: saleen337 ( $22.50 )
saleen337 posts small blind [$0.25].
allen_all_in posts big blind [$0.50].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Villain calls [$0.50].
>You have options at Table 64808 (6 max) (No DP) Table!.
Hero calls [$0.50].
saleen337 calls [$0.25].
allen_all_in checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
saleen337 checks.
allen_all_in checks.
Villain bets [$1].
Hero raises [$2].
saleen337 folds.
allen_all_in folds.
Villain calls [$1].
** Dealing Turn ** [ T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villain checks.
Hero bets [$4].
Villain calls [$4].
** Dealing River ** [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Villain bets [$10].

I have ~35$ left, Whats my line?
Old 11-24-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Whats my Line?

I would re-raise him the max. What beats you?
Old 11-24-2005, 05:37 PM

A Straight flush can still beat me
Old 11-24-2005, 06:19 PM

The flop raise is horrible. The river bet could easily be a jack high flush. With your fairly passive play on his hand, your opponent could believe that queen was a good card for you.Raise as much as you think he'll call everytime. Whatever small percentage of the time he has the straight flush kick your cat.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:23 PM

Just call, he would probably only call a reraise with a straight flush. Still his bet on the river doesn't make any sense, why bet a str8 flush? He knows you will bet the river anyway. And why pretend a str8 flush he knows you would at least call? So he has to put as much money in as he would if checked.
Bad play on the flop, either call and be prepared to fold if he pot bets a paired board on turn, or raise him more on flop (3-4$).
Old 11-24-2005, 08:25 PM

Screw that - Raise it for value. Many people will call with worse hands.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:52 PM

I shouldn't post when I'm half awake. I meant that the Qh was a good card for him given your passive play, since the only thing that beats a jack-high flush here would be the nut flush, and you certainly haven't played it like a nut flush.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just call, he would probably only call a reraise with a straight flush. Still his bet on the river doesn't make any sense, why bet a str8 flush? He knows you will bet the river anyway. And why pretend a str8 flush he knows you would at least call? So he has to put as much money in as he would if checked.
Bad play on the flop, either call and be prepared to fold if he pot bets a paired board on turn, or raise him more on flop (3-4$).

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think I've ever folded the nut flush or nut house fearing a straight flush or quads. Especially at the lower limits. Maybe this post above was a joke?

Raise more on the flop, raise as much as you think he will call on the river, I usually pot it in that situation.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:47 PM

min raise~

Tex
Old 11-24-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I've ever folded the nut flush or nut house fearing a straight flush or quads. Especially at the lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last sentence is the key, lower limits and max buyin games. But with very deep stacks, even though such situations are rare, you should be prepared to fold such hands or at the very least the amounts involved could cause you a losing month. A losing hand is a losing hand no matter how unlikely the nuts may be.

But there is a situation involving nut full house versus quads where you are going to get screwed almost everytime unless your table sense is very keen. If you flop the nut full with like QQ on a flop of Q66 and you slowplay the flop and then raise even just a min raise on the turn, and two players call, then it is easy to think they are fish each with only a 6 or maybe Q6. But if one of them then bets into you on the river or raises you when they have position and a card higher than a Q did not fall, then you are surely beat even though 2 callers on the turn would make you think there is no way either one could have 66. The explanation for your opponents' behaviour is either that 1 of them is a total fish overcalling with an overpair like KK/AA, or that they are colluding in a somewhat sophisticated manner. I've seen both at high stakes. Again at lower stakes online, you are probably just going to payoff everytime assuming you both did not start out with considerably more than the original max buyin.

Regarding the OP's hand, slowplaying a flopped nut flush isn't bad and is often the way to win more than just a pittance in an unraised pot especially. If they have a set they are a dog to fill, and if they have a worse flush they often put you on a set and keep coming. Depending on the player you can even occasionally decide to keep playing soft on the turn, provided that, you don't allow the opponent to underbet such a small amount that he would be pricing himself in correctly to fill. In that case you must raise everytime.