Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-13-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Playing low PP\'s OOP early on

Hi...

First of all, I wanted to take the opportunity to officially introduce myself to this forum. I'm a college student, been playing SnG's for a few months now. A buddy of mine told me about this site, said I'd learn alot by hanging around, posting, and reading. That is what I'm after -- right now I play the 11's and beat them (though not by a ton). I've read the FAQ -- and I have a few questions about those, but I'll ask them later. For now, I did want to ask what I'm sure many of you will find a very standard question (but please bear with me -- just trying to learn).

I typically limp in at the lower levels with any PP, regardless of position, hoping merely to hit a set and double up. Is this too loose for the 11's? What about higher buy-ins? Thanks, and I'll try to be a productive member of these discussions.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Playing low PP\'s OOP early on

It's a little loose. I generally won't open with less than 88 in EP, 77 in MP and 66 in LP. That's for a limp. Now with other limpers you can reduce your range somewhat, say 3 limpers and you're in CO or the button, sure, play that 22 for a set.

But compared to most party fish you're the rock of gibraltar.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:49 PM

Hey, welcome to the forums (though I'm new enough myself that "welcoming" anyone seems out of place). In any case, I asked about this earlier today; here's a link with the replies. General consensus seems to be that it's positional, but you generally want to be limping/playing for set value in larger pots with worse position and lower pairs. Given higher pairs, better position and fewer people in the pot, they can be played a bit more strongly. The link has examples. Hope that helps,

Blue
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 PM

Ok I am loose and love to see flop with a pair so when blinds only 10/15 or 15/30 I will limp with all pairs regardless of position (like I said loose). This is off topic but I also fold AQ first 2 or 3 rounds unless suited and in position and opening pot. When I am really raised (none of that min raise crap) I will dump all pairs unless tens.