Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 09:11 PM

Default (Forum)Separating online and live

I didn't know where to post this so move it if it needs to be.

What I would like to discuss is a split of the sections of the forum into online and live play. The two ways of playing the game are so different that I think it warrants them to be discussed separately.

For example I am a low limit(3/6) B&M player. The small stakes section of this forum, which is where I expected to find some great discussion on the the type of game that I play, has in actuality little relavance to small stakes B&M. Much of the discussion is talking of a much tighter game with much better tables. The online small stakes that is so often discussed in that forum is probably equivalent to 15/30 at my local cardroom. Topics such as "A3o Blind steal" are absurd when applied to small stakes B&M.

While there are posts that do discuss live play they are few and far between. I think that the games are so different that for clarity's sake there should be a separate forum for online play and live play, much like the limit and no-limit sections are split up now.

I am a relative newcomer here and don't know if this has already been discussed or if the moderators have even considered this but I thought I would bring it up because it would help me out a lot.

I would like to read your thoughts on this.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: (Forum)Separating online and live

Just read micro-limit instead of small-stakes.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:37 PM

I don't think this is a good idea. Poker is poker. You can ask questions in the micro board if you want, but -- sorry to dissapoint you -- we talk about stealing blinds with A3o (or worse) too.

Still, if you want to post a hand you played in a BM in small stakes, it should not be a problem. Or in micro for that matter -- we won't yell at you.

FWIW, most BM 3/6 has a ridiculous rake structure. It's still beatable if the players are bad enough, but you might be better served in an online game or if you can, a higher limit BM game (that might be impossible for you though).
Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 PM

I think a live 3/6 game is best discussed in the micro forum. SS is a good place to discuss live games up to about 8/16, maybe higher, depending on the texture of the game.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 PM

I think you do have an interesting point. I play mostly online but last time I was in a live game the 20-40 played softer than 2-4 online, no joke.

A suggestion for those who feel this way (and this will likely never happen) is live hands could be followed by (L).

FWIW I find in the high stakes forum I am often more interested in the live games but both seem to play pretty similar.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:33 PM

Last time I decided to go to the River boat, I got there and got on the $10-$20 and $20-$40 lists (20-40 was the biggest game they had). While I was waiting I went and scouted the $20-$40 games since they were near the rails. The first table I watched, had 6-8 in every pot, raised or not, and 3-4 showing down.....looked like a party $.50-$1 game. As I was getting ready to put my name on the list for JUST that table, I watched the other $20-$40 game.....same thing. Lets just say it turned into a very good night, and a very good first experience at B/M $20-$40.

I use to believe it was a waste for me to drive 1.5 hours to play live, when I could make decent money from my computer playing $3-$6....now I have changed my mind and will make that drive on occasion due to the TREMENDOUS difference in level of play compared to limits.

my $.02