Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 10:53 PM

Default why not limp all pairs utg?

It's often advised to only play like 88+ utg, or something like that. Why not play all pairs in these games? I love it when someone raises behind, I call a little raise and flop my set. Sets play fine out of position, so being utg is not really a problem, without a set I fold the flop. At low-stakes it's very rare that there's a big raise or more than one raise, so if you limp for $1 you can usually call $2 or $3 if it's raised at all preflop.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: why not limp all pairs utg?

[ QUOTE ]
It's often advised to only play like 88+ utg, or something like that. Why not play all pairs in these games? I love it when someone raises behind, I call a little raise and flop my set. Sets play fine out of position, so being utg is not really a problem, without a set I fold the flop. At low-stakes it's very rare that there's a big raise or more than one raise, so if you limp for $1 you can usually call $2 or $3 if it's raised at all preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anyone who advocates folding 22-77 UTG. See the FAQ about the 5/10 rule.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:59 PM

Yea, I play all pairs from all positions, unless theres a prohibitively large raise in front. Pairs are sweet, and make me lots of money.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 5/10, as formulated by Ciaffone, only applies when you have position on the PF raiser. UTG, you will only have position if the PF raise comes from the SB or the BB. Being out of position actually does impact your ability to get your opponent's stack in. It's harder to build a pot, your best weapon (the C/R) so obviously screams strong hand that an overpair can get away relatively cheap, leading into a PF raiser allows overcards to get away cheap, while checking allows him to check behind, etc. I think small PP do lose some implied odds by being OOP. That being said, I also will limp all PP UTG almost 100% of the time.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 AM

Limping UTG has to do with pot odds preflop. With small pairs you want a lot of people in the pot to get good odds on the set, because small pairs have little hope of winning unless they flop a set. There's just no point in getting involved in a small pot with little to no chance of winning. So when you limp UTG, you have no way of knowing how many limpers you'll get with you. But in late position, you know how many people are already in the pot, so you can better judge if that 22 is worth playing or not. Also, in late position, you can possibly steal the pot if you miss your set and no one has shown any aggression on a ragged board.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I play all pairs from all positions, unless theres a prohibitively large raise in front. Pairs are totally awesome , and make me lots of money.

[/ QUOTE ]