Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 02:44 PM

Default \"villainous\" sraight flush... vomit

this hand was yucky. furthermore, I don't think I played it correctly. how would you play each street?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](5 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, [color=#CC3333]MP3 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (13.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]MP2 bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]MP3 raises</font>, Button folds, [color=#CC3333]Hero 3-bets</font>, [color=#CC3333]MP2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 25.25 BB

villain had straight flush
Old 12-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: \"villainous\" sraight flush... vomit

Seriously dude, you played perfectly and rivered the second nuts.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:04 PM

I don't really think it was played perfectly
you think limping with j10 utg is okay?
what about the turn, should I have 3 bet?
what about the river, do you cap?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:14 PM

I am very tempted to move and/or lock this because it really is a bad beat post, BUT, I think there are a couple of points worth discussing:

1. Limping pre-flop JTs is fine. I do it a lot. If you are going to do it, though, you need to be confident in your post-flop play. Also, it works best at loose tables. I'm confident, though, that folding JTs UTG at .5/1 would be a mistake, though.

2. Flop is fine. The pot is small, betting protects your hand, and you have no reason to believe anyone will bet based on the pre-flop action.

3. Three-betting the turn is a possibility but it depends on reads. In a multiway pot, you often would only get raised by a flush or straight here from many players, so not three-betting has to be considered.

4. Not jamming the river is a giant, huge, massive error. This alone is the reason I want to leave this post up. You have the second nuts and are losing to exactly one two card combination. With three players still in, capping is going to net you two more BB the vast majority of the time. You're average equity on the end here is like 95% (and the discount is mostly for times you're chopping with another JT, not for when you lose to 89s).

So not raising the river at every opportunity is almost a 2 BB error!!!

Edit: I was confused about who was doin' the cappin'.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:16 PM

bet/cap the river
Old 12-20-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not capping the river is a giant, huge, massive error

[/ QUOTE ]
he could not cap it because it was already capped when it got backed to him. He raised at every single opportunity
Old 12-20-2005, 03:22 PM

Thanks, gop. I edited. I was confused by the OP's follow-up question "do you cap the river?"
Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM

Your post ends the thread imo. I'm going to lock it.
Closed Thread