Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 06:10 AM

Default what to call all-in preflop with against a maniac

Against a player who pushes all-in preflop almost every hand (but seems to fold his very worst holdings), what hands are you calling with if everyone else has folded? What about if there are limpers? Also, what's your plan if he hasn't acted yet and the actions on you?

I just played at a 25nl table with such a player and called five of his all-ins with QQ, JJ, AJo, A10s and 77 respectively. After thinking about it, I think the call with 77 is bad because very rarely will I be dominating his hand (maybe this changes if I were confident he would rebuy once he loses all his money). I'm fairly happy with the other calls. Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: what to call all-in preflop with against a maniac

if it was really like 80% of hands, lets say i'm last to act calling, i'd call with A6+, KT+, QJ, 44+. and tha twould tighten up more and more with more people left to act behind me.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:55 AM

I'd call with any UTG raising hand plus pairs. Any pair down to mid pair (55), AK, AQ, AJ (offsuit or suited, doesn't matter). That's it. The reason I'd call with such low pair is because even a 22 is a favorite over AKo, and 50/50 AKs. Going down to 55 is good.

Overall I think your calls were good.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 AM

hte call with 77 is better than the calls with AJ and AT. Since you will not likely be dominated like your A will be sometimes.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hte call with 77 is better than the calls with AJ and AT. Since you will not likely be dominated like your A will be sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually very true. Probably another reason why you should stick with the top 2 or 3 aces and fold the rest (AK, AQ, and maybe AJ).
Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually very true. Probably another reason why you should stick with the top 2 or 3 aces and fold the rest (AK, AQ, and maybe AJ).

[/ QUOTE ]

You most certianly have to call with AJ nad AT, i was just pointing out that the op's worries about 77 are illfounded.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 AM

nah, it's trrue, but not by a lot..

3.8% of hands dominate AJ, 3.2% dominate 77.

And, actually the 3.8% isn't counting the ace and jack taken out of it deck (to form my ace jack).