Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 04:57 AM

Default Re: I need your help - AK, AQ

[ QUOTE ]

1. Should I raise AK/AQ from early/mid/late position?
2. Should I raise from late/mid postion with multiple limpers? How hard?
3. Should I reraise from late/mid position?
4. Any diff preflop when hand is suited?
5. After the flop - continuation bets? Basic strategy vs tight players and lose players?
6. Do you have any methods of figuring out that your opponent flopped trips?
7. What bet sizes do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Always raise with these hands if no one has raised.

2. Of course. These hands have increased chances of winning with less people in the pot. With a few to no limpers, raise 4xbb. 3+ limpers raise 5x or 6x the bb. The point is, you want to raise enough to price people out, but not any more than you have to.

3. Only re-raise with AK. Fold AQ and AJ if someone raised before you or re-raised after you raised.

4. Suited doesn't change the value of your hand much.

5. If the flop comes something like QJT do not continuation bet. Or if the flop is QJ2 or KJ2. Basically two face cards, and you didn't get a piece, don't continuation bet. Any ragged board you continuation bet. I always just bet the pot.

6. Depends on how slick your opponent is. But generally if I hit the flop I'd be more willing to go all-in with AK and generally fold AQ or AJ to lots of aggression if the table is tight.

7. Bet sizes depends on how large the pot is.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:12 AM

Hand 1: Continue betting 2/3rd the pot.

Hand 2: Ew. Fold more often than not.

Hand 3: Another ew. Call the raise, don't re-raise. Either lead or check the turn. Tough choice. If you lead, fold to further aggression. If he calls, check the river. I slow down after a raise unless I have a big hand. AQ is not a big hand. I'd personally check the turn and see what he does.

NOTE: Two of your three hands are from out of position, meaning you're acting first. This always further increases the difficulty of playing hands, because you don't know what your opponent will do. When playing top pair out of position, you need to be very cautious.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Few sample hands

hand 1 - lead for 2/3 or 3/4 ; hand 2 - any read on villian? will he lay down a top pair good kicker? do you have FE is the real question? right now you are a favorite to a lot of hands - idk what his stack his and your play depends 100% on that info - hand 3, don't 3bet - flat call and reassess turn
Old 12-19-2005, 02:48 PM

If you always continuation bet 1/2 pot and bet the pot when the flop hits, don't you think opponents will pick up on that?

Mix up your play some. CB 1/2-full pot, same for when the flop hits your hand. You should have no "standard bet".
Old 12-19-2005, 06:57 PM

hand 1: I had about $56 left at that moment. Pot size was ~$50. Leading for $30 or $40 would leave me with $26 or $16. What card on the river can justify laying my hand down?

hand 2: I had no reads at the moment. Saw this guy for the first time. As listed there he had me covered.

hand 3: Good point. It was a clear mistake, my reasoning was he interpreted my bet as continuation bet and wanted to drive me out from this hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:00 PM

Thanks for you suggesion.
I think I'm trying to do something like that. May be I'm doing it not right though. I try to vary it around 50%, sometimes betting 1/3, sometimes betting 3/4 or even full pot. Depends on reads and situation. I think I need some system of doing this - like a timer.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM

1. I pushed. With exactly reasoning you've provided. The other option was to check, but that would give my opponent a free card. His tightess scared me and at the same time mislead me. My thought process was the following: if he would have trips which fits his play preflop, he'd most likely raised my flop bet because of the flush draw.

2. I called. I couldn't beleive that somebody would hold 67 to the aggression I showed preflop and on the flop. Set bothered me much more. Later I figured that this guy calls any standard raise preflop if he decided to play and he plays any connectors (suited or not). On the flop he continues to chase. Knowing this - you can figure the answer. He had 67, not suited.

3. Check/call sounds better that what I did. I selected to be aggressive with trip As.

These 3 hands are my top losing hands. Even having my small sample I can find very similar hands when in the similar situations I won a hand.

The whole issue bothers me cause AJ,AT,KQ,KJ and even KT are money makers for me. Overall I'm 6+BB/100 hands.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5. If the flop comes something like QJT do not continuation bet. Or if the flop is QJ2 or KJ2. Basically two face cards, and you didn't get a piece, don't continuation bet. Any ragged board you continuation bet. I always just bet the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. You mean if I have AK and flop comes QJT do not bet? Does it mean you recommend to slow play it? I never slow play this str8.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:24 PM

Hand 1: 2/3 bet will pot commit me. I'd have ~25 left to a huge pot. I don't think I'd be able to fold it to any river...

Hand 2: Your read would be trips?

Hand 3: I think this is good strategy, I was dumb to play it aggressive.

Note: good point. I always consider this but I think need to pay even more attention to this.