Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Time to Devalue Big Slick (Cardplayer Article)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty amazed at the number of people whose responses to this thread seem to be "Ha, he said AK isn't as great as everbody thinks it is! What a tard!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed that your post actually has less content than the people you are accusing.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed that your post actually has less content than the people you are accusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but you did notice that I posted an actual reply earlier in the thread, right?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:21 PM

It's actually a pretty good article. At no point does he say to stop playing AK or that AK is unprofitable, so anybody who got that out of it should probably read it again.

The truth is, AK suffers pretty badly from reverse implied odds with deep stacks, and until the blinds go up, it's a fairly modest playing hand. This doesn't mean you stop raising with it.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's actually a pretty good article. At no point does he say to stop playing AK or that AK is unprofitable, so anybody who got that out of it should probably read it again.

The truth is, AK suffers pretty badly from reverse implied odds with deep stacks, and until the blinds go up, it's a fairly modest playing hand. This doesn't mean you stop raising with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for saying what i wanted to say Cielo.
Everyone treats AK like the nuts (which it tends to be when playing with 10-20xBB, but when you truly get deep it becomes a much tougher hand to play.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Tracker must be buggy then.

It stupidly shows AKs to be my 5th best hand in MTTs, after AA, QQ, KK, and TT after 12K hands. Must be the small sample size.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your argument against AK doesnt lose value with deep stacks is that its performing well in shallow stack tournaments? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

And yes, 12k hands is a ridiculously small sample size, are you happier when you get TT or JJ?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:54 PM

I thought the article was pretty good. AK probably changes in value more than any other hand from shallow stacked to deep stacked. Deep stacked AK is exceedingly meh, especially out of position.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:04 PM

AK has two really valuable traits that he ignores. 1) It makes AA and KK much less likely (half as likely if HU). 2) It's a flip or better against all hands. These two things together make AK preflop a sort of kamikaze semi-bluffing hand because it's very rarely that bad if you get called, and FE rocks.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK has two really valuable traits that he ignores. 1) It makes AA and KK much less likely (half as likely if HU). 2) It's a flip or better against all hands. These two things together make AK preflop a sort of kamikaze semi-bluffing hand because it's very rarely that bad if you get called, and FE rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop kamikaze semi-bluffing for your entire stack doesn't really happen when you're deep-stacked against competent opposition. Deep stacks is the key. It's the whole point of the article.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop kamikaze semi-bluffing for your entire stack doesn't really happen when you're deep-stacked against competent opposition. Deep stacks is the key. It's the whole point of the article.

[/ QUOTE ]

You added "for your entire stack" for my statement. Take that out, and it holds.

Essentially all I'm saying is that AK is a great reraising hand because it's not too scared of a call, so it can look for EV where other hands that are dominated by more hands (like medium pairs) can't.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You added "for your entire stack" for my statement. Take that out, and it holds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it out, and

[ QUOTE ]

2) It's a flip or better against all hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

is nonsensical.