Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 10:11 AM

Default AA hand. A flat call here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) converter

Button (t3073)
SB (t2540)
BB (t2647)
UTG (t1475)
Hero (t4545)
MP2 (t4907)
CO (t13843)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, MP2 calls t600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t3073</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero ...

My read on MP2 is that he likes to call alot with Ax or two high cards, no matter how the preflop play is turning out. With Button going all in here I am thinking that a call here is the best option to not scare away MP2 and get him on the flop instead?

How would you have done? I'm interested in all kind of thoughts. I'm thinking a call here to not scare away MP2 since he may go along with just calling Button.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: AA hand. A flat call here?

I would push here everytime. You'll only get action from MP2 in this spot if he has a monster hand. It's quite hard to conceal the strength of your hand after 2 raises, so it really won't make much of a difference.

If he does indeed have a monster hand, will it really make a difference whether you flat call or pushing all in? He's still going to get his money in the pot, and may as well get it in preflop.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:13 AM

This hand is a pretty clear flat call. You want to give MP2 as much reason as possible to come into this pot. Granted, I think he's probably folding to the button push, but at least TRY to make it easy for him.

There is no reason to push and give the MP2 more reason to fold.

Peace

Goodie
Old 10-04-2005, 11:23 AM

Push it. If MP2 have a monster hand he will call anyway.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:28 AM

If his hand is good enough to call 2/3 of his stack it's good enough to call the whole thing. Push.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:41 AM

I push - and here's why: I've seen AA cracked too many times to want it facing TWO other people. I know how strong a starting hand it is - but I'd much rather be facing one person than giving two the chance to suck out on me.

I would actually want the other guy out of this hand. He already has some money in - and who knows, he may call anyway. But the last thing I want is to be against a low pocket pair (first guy in) and then maybe JQ or something... only to see JJ4 hit on the flop or something. Seen it happen too many times.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I push - and here's why: I've seen AA cracked too many times to want it facing TWO other people. I know how strong a starting hand it is - but I'd much rather be facing one person than giving two the chance to suck out on me.

I would actually want the other guy out of this hand. He already has some money in - and who knows, he may call anyway. But the last thing I want is to be against a low pocket pair (first guy in) and then maybe JQ or something... only to see JJ4 hit on the flop or something. Seen it happen too many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented thinking.

I want the other guy coming along every time. If you can't handle getting your Aces cracked and start playing scared to avoid it you wont have much success.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 PM

I push every time here. I agree that is weak tight to want to eliminate opponents here, but I think your opponent is more likely to call if you push than if you flat call.

Time and again I have seen people make flat calls of huge bets thinking they are concealing the strength of their hand. I find it to be one of the most reliable indicators of AA or KK. If I am holding QQ I consider calling a push, but I fold to a call.

I know that seems counter-intuitive, but after burning through a couple thousand S&amp;Gs you come to realize that there is a difference between calling and pushing. Calling gives your opponent much more information. If he is an idiot he is coming along either way. If he isn't you want him to call and pushing gives you the best likelihood of that happening.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:03 PM

MP2 is not calling unless he has a serious hand. I doubt he is calling a 3k raise with K Q (but who knows). I would ship it and if MP2 wants to come along fine.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:24 PM

I think you can go either way here. I probably flat call and if MP2 wants to join then I put the rest in on the flop.

I don't think it will make a difference if you push or just call but then you never know with some of the donks out there. I'm happy with the one all in as you are in good shape to almost double your stack.