Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Great New Mouse for Poker

i posted this a few months ago, and have many people who could not find the link and were asking me for the information. therefore, i am re-posting.

i have found a new mouse i love. it makes playing poker online much easier. it is a hand held mouse, that allows you to sit back scroll and just click. no desk top involved. additionally, for those of you who have already tried a hand held track rollerball mouse, this one is much better. i have never had it stick, or to take it apart.

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/fin.html

or

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/4dwirelessrf.html

questions;

Directron.com
10402 Harwin Drive
Houston, Texas 77036, USA

http://www.directron.com/

Driving directions

Hours of Operation:
Customer Service: 9:30am - 5:30pm CST, Mon.-Fri
Tech Support: 9:30am - 5:30pm CST, Mon.-Fri
Walk in Ordering (order not yet placed): 9:30am - 5:30pm Mon. - Fri.
Order Pickup (order placed online): 9:30-6:00 CST, Mon.-Fri. Saturday: 11am - 3:30pm
Warehouse: 9:00am - 6:00pm Mon. - Fri.

Tech Support / Customer service are not available on Saturday. If you need assistance during the weekend please post a message on our Forum. If you need to make a return, please use our online forms for RMA or RFC.

By Phone:
Sales/Phone Orders: 713-773-9898 (or toll-free after the first order)
Customer Services: 713-773-3636 x1500 (or toll-free after the first order)
Technical Support: 713-773-3636 x1700

By FAX:
281-754-4965 (Order Changes & Verification)
713-773-9393 (New Purchase Orders)
281-754-4142 (Account Application Form)
281-754-4959 (Customer Service)

By E-Mail:
General_sales @ directron.com
Reseller_sales @ directron.com
Corporate_sales @ directron.com
Academic_sales@directron.com

Customer_service @ directron.com
Order_status @ directron.com

tech @ directron.com

techsupport @ directron.com (Remove the spaces when sending email)
Old 09-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Great New Mouse for Poker

Why not just use a wireless joystick? Or a bluetooth mouse?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 AM

Looks like a cool mouse, as I have carp tunn probs

Thanks
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]dave
Old 09-20-2005, 05:00 AM

Hey guys,

i ordered this item and recieved it a couple of weeks ago.

it is indeed a very cool little item as described by amulet and works very well.

there are a few things that i found that i did not read ahead of time:

- to make the device most effective i tweaked my computer to maximize the mouse speed (minimize the amount i have to move the track ball with my thumb)

- even as a first-time track ball user it was easy to become reasonably proficient for general daily computer and internet use

-however note: i am not yet confident enough with the trackball to use it for playing multiple tables (instead i prefer switching between left and right hand mouse usage and using autohotkey scripts for hands-free keyboarding in order to avoid wrist pain rather than using the trackball device). i find i am not hitting the pre-fold boxes as fast or as smoothly as i can with a mouse or autohotkey keyboard script while playing multiple tables.

- the range is rather limited as you really cannot be too far from the rf broadcaster or allow something to come between your trackball and the broadcaster...it is essentially a line-of-sight device (i.e., i have a chronic back injury and always use my computer/play poker while lying down but find it to be a problem if i my body comes between the little broadcaster and the trackball unit....using it with my right hand with the broadcaster over to the left of my body is problematic).

- it is cool to be free of the need for a surface to use this input device.

if you are previously proficient with trakballs then i would highly recommend this little baby.

also if you have real problems with carpal tunnel this seems to pretty be pretty wrist friendly and i imagine you might be motivated to become proficient enough for poker use and would thus also recommend the device.

i have yet to icorporate it into my general poker playing thus have trouble recommending it hole-heartedly for poker playing (although this certainly could be due to my own incompetence with the device).

cheers,
the Real Macoy
Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 PM

okay okay

so i have learned how to use this thing a lot better and i confident enough to use it while multitabling.

i would now recommend the device without reservation, particularly to those experiencing wrist issues.

i am reasonably ambidextrous thus use it with both left and right hands about 50% of the time i am playing (and my mouse the rest). i has meant i don't need to use autohotkey scripts to releive wrist fatigue (i was getting too many misclicks due to a table popping into activation just as i pressed a button).

it works very nicely once you get used to the track ball. if you increase the mouse speed to maximum (which i did to minimize the necessary trackball movement) it means you have to be very very precise (which i think is what took some getting used to).

pokerstars is the best site i play as far as using the devise goes because the buttons are bigger although i still use it on all the sites as well.

my only conplaint is that approx 10% of the time the pointer seems not to move smoothly over buttons but kind of "sticks" on the edge and i have to kind of coerce it onto the button. i don't know if this is when my computer is lagging or what but it certainly diminishes the overall utility when this happens.

cheers,
the Real Macoy
Old 10-06-2005, 06:22 PM

which one do you use? the first one or the second one?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:58 AM

good question.

i use the 4D RF Wireless Hand Track
(not the catchiest name i admit)

the second link above leads to the device i own.

although the first link seems to show essentially the same device perhaps with different packaging?

cheers,
the Real Macoy
Old 10-07-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
good question.

i use the 4D RF Wireless Hand Track
(not the catchiest name i admit)

the second link above leads to the device i own.

although the first link seems to show essentially the same device perhaps with different packaging?

cheers,
the Real Macoy

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah the first one and second one are different - I think I'm going to order the one you have. how often do you have to replace the batteries?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:18 AM

batteries:
they are recharchable and come with the unit
simply plug the unit into the handy little cord
(you can use it while it is charging as well)

one other feature it incorporates is the ability to scroll your current page by first pressing the left of the two top buttons (the trigger is your main button for selecting/clicking). then you use the track ball to scroll down. (my mouse does the same if i press in the sroll wheel, then i can sroll down by dragging my mouse.

for web surfing i still miss my scroll wheel and if i was to make any kind of upgrade to this baby it would be to install one just below the track ball (not that it doesn't work as is). hopefully this is just the first generation and it catches on and gets fully beefed up (more programmable buttons, sroll wheel, etc).

cheers,
the Real Macoy

ps. if you get one post your own review (i pretty sure you will find it much easier to get used to than i did....track ball newbie i guess)
Old 10-07-2005, 11:10 AM

I just received the one in this link
http://www.gyration.com/go24airmouse.htm
it works much better than i ever thought...it's an optical mouse AND an in air mouse (essentially you just move your wrist while holding it in the air and the mouse moves to your movement)...i was skeptical about the in air part...but actually works very well...haven't played online with it...just tested it real quickly...but you can do easy click/drag motions...so far the slickest mouse i've seen yet...a bit pricey but as of right now it gets two thumbs up...