Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Why did this bluff not work?

This is my first hand on a new table. I am the big blind. I did not want someone to start stealing my blinds, so the first hand I decided to defend them. Average chip size for the tourney is around 5000. $6 1600 player tourney.

Button :Villan (t10395)
SB (t17164)
Hero (t12072)
UTG (t2937)
UTG+1 (t6971)
MP1 (t5410)
MP2 (t4720)
MP3 (t819)
CO (t2450)

Dealt to Hero [ 4d Jh ]
Villan raises [800].
Hero calls [400].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2s, 6d, Qc ]
Hero bets [800].
Villan calls [800].
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9d ]
Hero bets [1600].
Villan calls [1600].
** Dealing River ** [ 7s ]
Hero bets [2000].
Villan calls [2000].
Hero shows [ 4d, Jh ] high card queen.
Villan shows [ 2h, Ah ] a pair of twos.
Villan wins 10600 chips from the main pot with a pair of twos

Why did this not work? I am folding this hand after the flop if I am the villan.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Why did this bluff not work?

Your opponent thought (hoped is more like it) he had the best hand.

Your opponents will not always play hands the way you would have played them, but that's what makes poker interesting.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 PM

I watched the replay, and you pulled on your earlobe before your flop bet. Dead give-away.

His stupidity saved him, before you try a move like this make sure your opponent has at least 4 functioning brain cells. You need the read on them as much as they on you, had you been at the table longer, you'd have known that he's not the guy you want to move on.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:00 PM

"$6 1600 player tourney"

Forget bluffing these guys without a read. Just push with the nuts and watch them call. lol.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:04 PM

I think you need to reraise preflop. With 3-1 odds preflop a smooth call screams marginal hand. If you hit this flop with either Q or 6 you would not probe with a 40% of pot bet. That tells me that you missed the flop. (I am suprised he doesnt re-raise your flop bet). I think I bet somewhere around a pot sized bet on the flop. If I get called or reraised then I go into check/fold mode and I still accomplish my goal of showing strength in my blinds.

I would not try to bluff someone off by giving him better than 2:1 odds every bet.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:09 PM

How about a flop c/r bluff for all you are willing to invest in running sed bluff. But him to a big decision, not several small ones.

lf
Old 07-04-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about a flop c/r bluff for all you are willing to invest in running sed bluff. But him to a big decision, not several small ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer a flop c/r if your going to bluff. Often i find they will call the c/r because they hate folding, then fold on the turn bet. I don't like making these type of plays at $6 tournaments, why not wait for a better hand to do this, or be the person initially raising with J4o.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first hand on a new table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rest of what you said is pointless.

The above quote is why this bluff did not work. I will add in that you didn't bet enough on ANY street to get him to fold, but you shouldn't be bluffing first hand.

What's so bad about not defending your blind first hand to a button raise? It might set you up as a tighter play and will get you more respect down the road.

Now you've played 1 hand and your table image is already shot.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:49 PM

This isn't the WPT. This is a $6 MTT. No one will probably notice if you are defending your blinds.

Also, you don't bluff a calling station. Seems like a typical fish minirasing with A2o and calling you down thinking his ace high is good.

Leading on the flop for less than half the pot is strange. Why not go for a checkraise on the flop. Also, you good make a substantial reraise preflop rather than flat calling.

You played like you had the nuts and you were trying to lure your opponent into putting more money into the pot.