Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 02:55 PM

Default phil ivey just saying \"fug it\" to the wsop prelim events

this from david williams' blog:
"After that I was seriously considering following in the steps of my friend Phil Ivey and hanging it up at the WSOP until the main event, although for different reasons. He doesn't really care about them, and is playing the 4k-8k game over at the Bellagio with Doyle, Chip, and the gang."

haha i guess phil ivey doesn't give a damn about the wsop bracelets. he's really just losing money entering these small buy-in tournaments with large fields, where I guess he bets these buy-ins on each round of betting in the big game.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: phil ivey just saying \"fug it\" to the wsop prelim events

He's said before that he always does poorly at tournaments when there are big cash games going on. He takes a much more aggressive style where he either builds a big stack up fast and early, or busts out and is able to get back to the ring games, where he has a higher EV.

One of the last tournaments he was at that didn't have a big cash game running was the Turning Stone one with the live final table, which he won.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"After that I was seriously considering following in the steps of my friend Phil Ivey and hanging it up at the WSOP until the main event, although for different reasons. He doesn't really care about them, and is playing the 4k-8k game over at the Bellagio with Doyle, Chip, and the gang."

haha i guess phil ivey doesn't give a damn about the wsop bracelets. he's really just losing money entering these small buy-in tournaments with large fields, where I guess he bets these buy-ins on each round of betting in the big game.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are at the level that Phil, Doyle, Barry, Chau, Chip, etc., are, you either care about winning a bracelet or you don't. In Barry's case, he plays to give the money to charity. If he didn't do that, I would be willing to bet Barry would also not care too much about the smaller events. They win/lose as much or more than 1st place pays anyway, so other than the bracelet, what would attract them? They already have the fame and accolades so that's out.

OTOH, there's Hellmuth, who will play in every event possible so he can win his 10th bracelet and tell anybody who'll listen about it.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess he bets these buy-ins on each round of betting in the big game.

[/ QUOTE ]

True (assuming there isn't a raise on that round -- some rounds cost more than the entry into the $25K WPT Final Event). I find it pretty freakin' wild to think that these guys are wagering a month's salary on each round (we're talking a $80K a year job). Note to self -- get to Vegas one day soon and watch one of the last bastions of pure capitalism left on the planet, even from afar.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in a sense, i don't blame him. i'm sure cash games for him, as with most successful cash players, is steady money. Chau Giang, i think it was at the WPT Tunica event, said that he wins or loses $200,000 to $300,000 a night. let's take winning $300,000 in several hours in the $4K/$8K. in this year's $10K ME, he would have to play for several days and make it to possibly the last 2 or 3 tables out of thousands of players to win that kind of money. that's not to say all the $4K/$8K regulars won't be in the $10K ME but it can certainly shed some light on their mentality toward these lower buy-in 2 day events.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:38 AM

I sat his his table at the $1k rebuy NL event and I'm pretty sure I saw him at least one or two of the other events I've been in. I played the two $2.5k events this weekend (just got busted out of the $2.5k pot limit in 98th place) and didn't see him in either one, so perhaps he has changed his mind since I saw him two weeks ago.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another argument for a bigger buy-in super event at the WSOP. Perhaps eventually the top pros won't even play the ME anymore. The EV just isn't there. Does a bracelet really mean that much?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does a bracelet really mean that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in a sense, i don't blame him. i'm sure cash games for him, as with most successful cash players, is steady money. Chau Giang, i think it was at the WPT Tunica event, said that he wins or loses $200,000 to $300,000 a night. let's take winning $300,000 in several hours in the $4K/$8K. in this year's $10K ME, he would have to play for several days and make it to possibly the last 2 or 3 tables out of thousands of players to win that kind of money. that's not to say all the $4K/$8K regulars won't be in the $10K ME but it can certainly shed some light on their mentality toward these lower buy-in 2 day events.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few months ago, it was stated by someone in the know that at most, the big names have a win rate of less than 1 BB/hr in the big game. Maybe this changes during the World Series, more fish perhaps, but in any case, you need to redo your analysis based on this figure, not $300K in a night.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yet another argument for a bigger buy-in super event at the WSOP. Perhaps eventually the top pros won't even play the ME anymore. The EV just isn't there. Does a bracelet really mean that much?

[/ QUOTE ]

It means a lot of money for the winner. And if the winner is a top name in Poker (Ivey, Hansen, Hellmuth etc) it is worth even more since they are more attractive to sponsors than a relatively unknown player.