Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 10:33 PM

Default WSOP hand - how would you have played it?

I will say right up front that I misplayed this hand. I'd like to get some advice on how this hand could have been played better:

WSOP $1500 NL Hold-Em
Second level(25-50), a few minutes before the third starts(50-100)

Folded to Tom McEvoy who rasies to 175 from middle position.
Folds around to SB who calls. BB has AJs.

Tom has been fairly conservative playing only a few hands in the past two hours, although he has left his seat a few times missing some hands.

SB has been extremely active. Putting in lots of raises and making what appear to be many steal moves.

BB has played 2 two pots so far. Once he raised in EP and it was folded around. And once he re-raises the SB PF and took it down.

Tom has about 1500 in chips
SB has accumulated a decent stack, maybe 2500.
BB has around 1200.

What's BB's move?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: WSOP hand - how would you have played it?

See a flop.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:41 PM

I know you're shortishly stacked, but I'd fold pre-flop. The flops that will really help you are very limited and an ace or J with another overcard is just going to mess with your mind.

It's situations like this that really illustrate the advantage of being the preflop aggressor.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:53 PM

I call and see the flop. The plan in the flop, if I flop an A or a J; I'm leading with a 300 bet, Tom will fold his hand unless he has a better hand than you, if he raises, you should fold.
If I flop a flush draw I'm committed and bet about 500-600 in the flop, so they know.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:34 PM

call McEvoy's raise
Old 06-24-2005, 01:47 AM

These tournaments where you have short chips cause a little more gamble than some of the deeper stacked ones. I'd call this preflop raise(which I normally wouldn't from Tom b/c he's about as tight as it gets) and try to win a big pot. I don't think folding is terrible, but I like seeing a flop here. I agree with Sirio's post flop play.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:00 AM

I don't like calling preflop. You are putting 10% of your chips in when you are out of position and often dominated vs a tight player. If you aren't willing to go to the felt any time you pair, it becomes even more questionable.
A lot of scenarious will boil down either to you winning 600 the rare times you manage to get ahead, wasting a couple blinds and check/folding, or losing anywhere from half to all of your chips. Is Tom raising A8? Will sb bet overcards to a J high flop?
I say fold and I'd like a better explanation why I'm wrong than "gamble." [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 06:00 AM

fold preflop, at this stage McEvoy is not likey on a steal,
AJ is a chipburner
Old 06-24-2005, 07:27 AM

Due to the call from SB, I think you must play this hand. If only up against the raiser, I'd be more inclined to fold.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:38 AM

I fold this PF.

Here's my reasoning (all comments are welcome)-

For one, you are calling 100 into a 350 pot with high suited cards - not bad getting 3.5:1, but you are OOP versus the PFR'r and you are likely behind given the typical range of hands that we could put McEvoy on (AJ/KQ+ or PP I'm guessing). I'm thinking that over half the time Tom is going to have you dominated by AK/AQ/JJ-AA so you'll probably be drawing to 3 outs on the flop - which is well shy of the 3.5:1 you need to make this call correct. Add to the fact that it's going to cost us ~1/3 of our stack ATF to find out where we are at even if we do hit our A/J. I'm not a big fan of playing AJ/AJs OOP vs a tight PFR'r.

No, I'd rather call 100 with a hand like 55 than AJs in this spot - because I know if I flop my set with 55 I'm likely to take down the pot and hopefully double-up against an overpair or TPTK type hand and I can easily check-fold the flop if I miss and go on to the next hand; as compared to AJ where if I hit the flop I could be in even more trouble.