Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: 3bet preflop with AK check flop?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Checking turns AK face up. If you get bet into on an A or K turn, theres a real good chance he's 3betting your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's how I feel, if I check flop and hit TP on turn, and go for the raise, to trap the field, I could be trapping myself at the same time. I don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trapping yourself against what hand? AT? 3T's?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Checking turns AK face up. If you get bet into on an A or K turn, theres a real good chance he's 3betting your raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

And.....if you bet it on the flop and UTG raises, he is not exposing his AK/AQ, although that could be what he has, and is just trying to get it heads-up, which, if he succeeds in doing, he bets out on the turn, no matter what it is, and if it's not an AorK, what do we do then? Call 1 & fold the river if no A/K?

Furthermore, what are the chances of getting both MP's to fold on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think checking is right, I just don't think that being able to raise the turn is a good reason for checking. We probably can't raise the turn even if we hit. We check because our hand sucks and no one is making a fold we're pleased about.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:00 AM

With no info on players I say bet. Getting chkraised by SB or UTG isn't that bad unless they've hit a set and you want to try to cut down the field or get a free card. SB and UTG probably have a hand but checking here says I give up unless I improve on the turn. If you do check be prepared to call 1 on a blank turn since there's already 8 BBs in the pot.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And.....if you bet it on the flop and UTG raises, he is not exposing his AK/AQ, although that could be what he has, and is just trying to get it heads-up, which, if he succeeds in doing, he bets out on the turn, no matter what it is, and if it's not an AorK, what do we do then? Call 1 & fold the river if no A/K?

Furthermore, what are the chances of getting both MP's to fold on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think checking is right, I just don't think that being able to raise the turn is a good reason for checking. We probably can't raise the turn even if we hit. We check because our hand sucks and no one is making a fold we're pleased about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then, we are thinking in harmony.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:53 AM

9829: if u check the flop, u will get bet into on the trun almost everytime , so now ur paying 30 to see the river instead of 15 for the turn than a ck for a free card
Old 10-16-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
9829: if u check the flop, u will get bet into on the trun almost everytime , so now ur paying 30 to see the river instead of 15 for the turn than a ck for a free card

[/ QUOTE ]

but you might end up paying 30 and not seeing the river at all
Old 10-16-2005, 12:22 PM

2 cold calls of an UTG raise. Super draw heavy board with high-ish connected cards that help cold-calling hands. These people probably are not folding.

Next, any hand that actually folds here is a bad result for you, because if you hit on the turn they're damn near drawing dead against you. The hands you really want to fold out are JQ to save your K out and A9/A10, but of course those hands are not folding. Little PPs you don't want folding and JJ/QQ you don't want folding, because you extract from them if you hit a turn and they're drawing so thin. Nobody who has a piece or a draw is folding, so the only hands you might fold out are things like AJ/AQ/KQ, and you actually want them in the pot because they are so far behind you.

So a check seems right to me. You get a free look at the turn, avoid the possibility of a checkraise/donkbet, and a flop bet would accomplish nothing of real value for you. It leaves you in the dark a bit on the turn, but that's a small disadvantage compared to the major advantages of checking the flop.

And fwiw, I don't think a check here stinks of AK as badly as others if you have been varying the flop play on your sets and overpairs a bit in the session so far.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but you might end up paying 30 and not seeing the river at all

[/ QUOTE ]

dude you're averaging like 10 posts a day for over 2 years
Old 10-16-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 cold calls of an UTG raise. Super draw heavy board with high-ish connected cards that help cold-calling hands. These people probably are not folding.

Next, any hand that actually folds here is a bad result for you, because if you hit on the turn they're damn near drawing dead against you. The hands you really want to fold out are JQ to save your K out and A9/A10, but of course those hands are not folding. Little PPs you don't want folding and JJ/QQ you don't want folding, because you extract from them if you hit a turn and they're drawing so thin. Nobody who has a piece or a draw is folding, so the only hands you might fold out are things like AJ/AQ/KQ, and you actually want them in the pot because they are so far behind you.

So a check seems right to me. You get a free look at the turn, avoid the possibility of a checkraise/donkbet, and a flop bet would accomplish nothing of real value for you. It leaves you in the dark a bit on the turn, but that's a small disadvantage compared to the major advantages of checking the flop.

And fwiw, I don't think a check here stinks of AK as badly as others if you have been varying the flop play on your sets and overpairs a bit in the session so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it will take you a decade to attain enough posts to earn the title "veteran" posting such in-depth responses. I sincerely thank you for your input and look forward to hearing from you in the future.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:26 PM

Heh, I don't even know what the different titles mean or how many posts they require. Thanks though.