Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Bottom boat against uber donk

Villain is a massive donk. He calls with almost any piece of the board, he calls with draws. He also slowplays his monsters like crazy, and then overvalues them. I saw him one hand check bottom set on the flop, I check. He checks it on the turn, I bet pot with my turned lower set and he calls. River makes a flush, I bet, he min checkraises. Another hand he flops Q high flush. He checks flop and turn, then min checkraises the river when a fourth spade hits.

So on to the hand (converter broken sorry).

Total number of players : 6
Seat 6: Villain ( $696.50 )
Seat 4: Hero ( $450.67 )

Hero is SB. Villain is UTG. Villain limps, I complete with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], BB checks.

Flop ($6): 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $5, villain calls.

Turn ($16): 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet $12, villain calls.

River ($30): 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet $25. Villain makes it $50. I make it $150. Villain makes it $250. I call.

More on the river? Less on the river?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Bottom boat against uber donk

Looks good Its hard to re-raise someone like that. Especially since its hard to put them on a range. The fact he re-re-raised you makes your play standard....
Old 10-26-2005, 09:44 PM

I like it as is. Villain might have T8 or something on a busted draw and now be bluffing. Might also have hit his straight. I think you're good most of the time here. Is he passive enough to limp in EP w/ 88+? Will he smooth call this flop AND turn with just 88? If he probably doesn't have 88, and probably doesn't have AA since he didn't raise preflop, then you're only afraid of 99 here. Can he not have raised 99 up front?

I think there are too few hands that are beating you. Villain could just have an ace. Just calling the last minraise is fine, you've already built up a big pot and even though villain probably has no clue how strong his holding really is, he's still saying he's got a better hand.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:47 PM

I don't understand why you wouldn't push?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:47 PM

In the hands prior to this (around 100 I think), villain had 80/0 stats, so not raising with AA is certainly possible. 99, 88 also possible. Straight is possible. Naked trips is possible. Really anything is possible, but I don't think he's bluffing.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the hands prior to this (around 100 I think), villain had 80/0 stats, so not raising with AA is certainly possible. 99, 88 also possible. Straight is possible. Naked trips is possible. Really anything is possible, but I don't think he's bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...80/0 :O! Alright, in that case we can do some quick counting. What hands beat you here? AA, 99, 88, 97, A7. There are 15 of these hands. What other hands might villain do this with (assuming he's not bluffing)? Any naked trips, a straight, 2p with an ace? a big ace? A pocket pair TT-KK? Seems like there are enough hands he could be doing this with that you're probably good here enough of the time. You might consider just calling the first minraise, but I think I definitely like just calling the second minraise.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you wouldn't push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't push either. Hero bet strong on the river, villain min-raised, hero reraised triple, villain still reraised over the top. Too many ways villain has the best hand for hero to push and the villain is a donk, so it's hard to read his raises.

I'd expect to clear this pot if I'm hero, but I'd be done raising after that much aggression from villain.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:29 PM

What hands would villan limp UTG here? A7, 99, AA, 79s? I'm assuming he will slowplay all these hands on this board. Will he make the same play with a K7s? Or just a naked 7?

Call me crazy, but I think I may just call the $50 miniraise. Maybe I'm weak, but given your description of villan, he seems to check/mini-raise with monsters.

Given the action, I make the call.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call me crazy, but I think I may just call the $50 miniraise. Maybe I'm weak, but given your description of villan, he seems to check/mini-raise with monsters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you're crazy. And weak too.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another hand he flops Q high flush. He checks flop and turn, then min checkraises the river when a fourth spade hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. I mean, good god, man... wow.

first off, i call and expect to see a straight. if not, well... whatever, you'll get it back.

correct me if my extrapolation of your analysis of his play is way off:

i would think the full is good. I would think that he, being a donk, would call most any bet from 0 to 2x pot with any hand that he'd call anything with. i'd guess, given his history, that he's not into raising with pot size or larger bets- he probably just clicks the 'raise' button and doesn't really understand the implications of different bet sizes. this allows you to control the action (to some degree) even if he's raising...

I'd bet maybe $40 and hope he raises another $40, which i would call. If i had bet the $25 and he had raised another $25, i would raise it $50 and expect to call another $50. because he seems to just raise whatever ammount he's calling, that $100 raise is asking for him to send it back to you and put you to an uncomfortable descision.

i never see players like this, not since i left the $50 tables, anyway. there were a lot of them, though- always raising the same ammount as the bet. i really think there is a whole class of donks out there that just click the raise button instead of thinking about their bet sizes.