Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Either I can\'t adjust my play or i\'m cursed, you tell me (long)

Ok been reading a while first post though... I've been playing about 4 years, mostly 1/2 NL on the weekends. I have about 8 home games I rotate through and have recorded overall profit on every single one of them, except one. This game is sort of odd, they play 1/2 blinds, with a max buy in of $100, however they all play as though it's a 5/10, and there usually isn't a person there with less than 1k in their pocket. I have never seen a pot folded to the better when someone opens for $20 preflop, ever, and usually the hands shown down at the end are along the lines of 6 8 off and A 3 off, with a pair of sixes winning the $200+ pot. I've even seen 3 5 off call $80 preflop behind a raise and a reraise. My theory has been that I don't want to involve myself with anything but super premium hands because I know i'll get paid..I can honestly say i've never played any hands except AK, AK suited, AQ suited, limped pp's lower than QQ looking for sets, and basically gotten all in preflop with QQ KK AA. However, even for 40-60 preflop, i'm ending up with 2-4 callers every time, and over 10 sessions and around 73 hours of play, i'm down $1800 in this game. Fact of the matter is my hands are always always always getting cracked because so many players call down no matter what. I have never recorded a winning session here. Is it possible the game can't get beat even waiting for the premium hands if those hands are always against an average of three other random hands? Am I making a mistake playing super tight? I don't think my roll could handle the variance of playing any looser. Should I just not play here even though by all appearances it should be the most insanely profitable game on earth? I'm actually starting to get superstitious about the place. Help!