Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: I ask for serious advice about this matter

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that was Pink Floyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was Henry David Thoreau who coined the phrase.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought that was Pink Floyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was Henry David Thoreau who coined the phrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding
Old 08-05-2005, 07:20 PM

I would try to find a way so that it is not an either/or decison. Keep working and take a class at night, etc.

Try to hedge your bets a little until you are convinced it is correct.

--g
Old 08-05-2005, 07:33 PM

Don't hedge your bets and don't play it safe. Go for it. If the passion is there make a total commitment.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:50 PM

Good for you! I think its a fantastic decision. It's never too late to change your life. I'm thinking of going back to school for a degree in psychology. The time is gonna go by whether you go or not. May as well have the knowledge and degree at the end of that time.

I was just diagnosed with ADD which adds much insight as to why I couldn't focus in school when I was younger. I'm looking forward to getting it treated and hoping that will help things a bit when I go back to school.

I know some people that didn't get their degree till they were about 45 or 50. They're very happy now and doing quite well!

Again, Good luck in your endeavor!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:00 PM

I may have missed this while skimming the replies, but why sell the house? If the mortgage is that small, the payment would be less than even Uni housing, right? Are you planning on buying a smaller house, or one near the school?

I just don't get why you'd sell it.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 PM

How different is your mindset versus when you went to school the first time? Are you just going to get into the same rut?

I'm speaking from a similar personal experience. I basically did the same thing, quit my job, went back to school only to be sitting there halfway through the semester wondering what in the hell I am doing. I ended up finishing the semester and dropping out halfway through the summer session, only to end up in a series of increasingly crappy jobs.

I'd question your motivation and goals to see if it really makes sense for you or not. I'd echo the thoughts of a few, that you should take a night class or something to see if you can really get into it again. Hedge your bets, if possible.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may have missed this while skimming the replies, but why sell the house? If the mortgage is that small, the payment would be less than even Uni housing, right? Are you planning on buying a smaller house, or one near the school?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same thought. By all means, go for your dreams while you can, but it isn't clear from your OP why you need to sell what is probably your biggest asset. If you are moving away and need the money, look into taking an equity line and getting some tenants to pay it back.

Who needs government grants or Student loans when renters can pay your tuition, books, room and board?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to go somewhere that will be at least 150 miles from where I live, if you have ever been to the UK, you will understand why it is impossible to commute that far. I have to sell to pay for my education, accomodation etc, I plan to work but I fear the house has to go in order for me to get through all this, I just won't be able to afford to maintain it, pay taxes and so on while I'm not using it. I wish there was an easier way, but I don't think there is.

Regards Mack
Old 08-06-2005, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How different is your mindset versus when you went to school the first time? Are you just going to get into the same rut?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been working hard for over 12 years, I had to work for nothing for two years to get where I am today, my mindset is very different from back then. I have also done home studies for my job, thats self motivating, I have no fear of not being interested, else why would I put everything I have into doing it just to fail.

Regards Mack