Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 01:31 AM

Default a guy without looking at his cards keeps re-raising the pot

In a home game tonight I came across a very interesting situation. We are five handed playing .10/25 cent pot-limit hold-em or Omaha. Villian is a complete donk maniac and has had to rebuy (25 dollars) three times from hands he has lost to me. Some background info on villian. I am his superior at work and he is constantly trying to prove that he is better then everyone at any giving task. It could be foosball, our profession, any current topic of discussion, and once a week, it's poker. He's not an ass about anything, just always trying to best everyone in any given task/situation/conversation. This should be enough background about villian and his motivations. If anyone needs more please let me know.

As for the hand, I am on the button and dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raise the pot making it a 1.50 to go. Villian, re-raises without looking at his cards. Everyone folds and I call. Flop comes rainbow 2, 4 5. He pot bets. I re-raise pot and he re-raises back. This is where I instanly made the decesion to keep re-raising until he is all in. The turn is a queen and the river a king. Knowing you are ahead pre-flop against any random two cards did I do the right thing when I missed. Or should I have just laid it down on the flop. I knew I was gambling, but I had every right to think I was ahead. It was a very interesting hand.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: a guy without looking at his cards keeps re-raising the pot

I guess if you are very sure that the villain never looked at his cards at any point in the hand you did the right thing.

If he looked at his cards after the flop and continued to raise you should have layed it down.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:55 AM

If you know he didn't look at his cards preflop, why not raise again?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or should I have just laid it down on the flop. I knew I was gambling, but I had every right to think I was ahead. It was a very interesting hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably should have folded it. Assuming you're going all the way to the river, AQ is only about a 5% favorite against any two cards. See:

Hand 1: 54.7694 % [ 00.53 00.02 ] { AhQh }
Hand 2: 45.2306 % [ 00.43 00.02 ] { random }

So yeah, you're ahead, but I would wait until you have a better spot to stack him.

Plus, by giving him a few small pots and judiciously massaging his ego, he'll probably be encouraged to keep rebuying. Try to work in some key phrases here like "wow, you're really the man tonight" and "gee, you've really got some balls; I could never do that".

Then nail his idiot ass to the wall.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:03 AM

dumping to the boss, seems pretty standard to me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Looks like its about a $5 pot on the flop and he's got about $23 behind him. so assuming he keeps raising until he's all in, you're getting 28-23 pot odds and are a 53-47 favorite to win. What's to think about here?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Probably should have folded it because money sucks. See:

Hand 1: 54.7694 % [ 00.53 00.02 ] { AhQh }
Hand 2: 45.2306 % [ 00.43 00.02 ] { random }

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Why suggest that hero folds as a favorite?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:52 AM

He's stacked villian 3 times already, why push the flop as a 9% equity vs a random hand? I think hero can get better edges to push vs the villian described if he's going to keep pushing vs continuation bets.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why suggest that hero folds as a favorite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasoning was explained after line 3.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:08 AM

I agree that pushing preflop has much better equity than pushing on the flop when hero misses.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's stacked villian 3 times already, why push the flop as a 9% equity vs a random hand? I think hero can get better edges to push vs the villian described if he's going to keep pushing vs continuation bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Small Stakes Pot-Limit & No-Limit board. If you want to be a successful poker player, you should take every edge given to you in a cash game. That's why it's good to have a bankroll of 20x the buy-in. With a 9% equity edge and dead money in the pot, this is an awesome spot and should be taken every time without hesitation.