Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Like it or hate it?

The game is 6 handed at this point and most players are reasonably loose, except I have a (possibly undeserved) high opinion of the player I'm against in this hand. We're pretty close in stacks (~120) and on the high end of the chip counts.

I'm UTG with 2-2 and decide to risk a bet hoping to not get re-raised and then evaluate after the flop. I get called by only one MP player. I'm thinking he's on A-Q to J-10s or a medium pocket pair.

Flop: 2-4-5

I bet out 10 with my set and he raises me to 20. Now I'm fairly confident he's trying to steal with A-high(x) and betting on his gut shot. I call

Turn: 6

I push right here. He thinks for a good length of time and eventually folds.

Thoughts or advice. I don't think I played this too terribly (granted ducks are not great to play from there, but I hadn't been mixing anything up in a week or two). I fully intended to fold to any raise if I didn't hit my set.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Like it or hate it?

your logic that you open and someone re raises and you evaluate makes no sense, you should call and hope someone raises so u can outflop them, in this case you shoudlve moved in on the flop, if your sure he has an ace, why give him a free card to hit his gutshot.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:45 PM

What the h*ll was in the pot when you fired out 10 on the flop, when you can be fairly certain the guy flopped a gutshot?

Then the straight fills out? And you PUSH? I hate this.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:57 PM

your push sucks because all hands you are beating fold, and all hands that beat you call. I'd fire out a reasonable turn bet, not a push. Horrible.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm confused why you hate this so much.

There was 15 in the pot when I fired 10.

There's no way the guy is sticking around pre-flop with a 3 in his hand with the kind of hands I'd been showing down. I just don't think this was that bad of a move.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:59 PM

Does a somewhat loose player really lay down a hand like 88 or 99 here? When I haven't been playing anything lower than 9-10s all night?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused why you hate this so much.

There was 15 in the pot when I fired 10.

There's no way the guy is sticking around pre-flop with a 3 in his hand with the kind of hands I'd been showing down. I just don't think this was that bad of a move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your actions show that he did have implied odds to call with an open-ended and probably a gut shot straight draw since you pushed when it hit. I would have called your flop bet with a gut shot (and raised it with an OESD) if I thought I could take your stack if it hits and if I had two overcard (perceived) outs as well.

It's good that you recognize that even though you won the hand, there might have been a better way to play it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It takes some people (like this poster) a long time before they hit upon this realization. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 03:06 PM

Three bet that flop. Too many scare cards for 88+
Old 09-06-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does a somewhat loose player really lay down a hand like 88 or 99 here? When I haven't been playing anything lower than 9-10s all night?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming that your opponents are paying attention to you, which 90% of the time is a fallacy. Unless I have a read otherwise, I assume most of my opponents use 1st and only occasional 2nd level thinking here. (based upon the stack sizes I assume you were playing NL $50 or $100, correct?)
Old 09-06-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they do. They've been shown agression and now an opponent pushes into them with a 4 straight on the board. I'd fold AA here and i'd be right to wouldn't I? There are times to push with the four straight on the board, but this isn't it.

Good examples of good times to push with a 4-straight on the board:

1) 4-straight on board but you have full house
2) 4 straight on board but you have flush
3) 4 straight on board but you have a higher straight than the 1 card straight

Personally I like betting smaller or even check/calling here as an option. If you think they'll call with 88 here your table selection is way better than mine.