Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Greatest sports comeback ever!

I hadn't seen tdarko's post when I made mine [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Edit: or any of the other ten zillion posts on the same subject.

Lori
Old 11-12-2005, 01:29 AM

Down 10 points with 52 seconds left against the best team in the NBA, T-Mac worked his magic.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as much as i hated it (worst sports memory as a child i think, my favorite player was warren moon), i am going to have to say the bills comeback against the oilers in '93... "the comeback"

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite player was also Warren Moon (thanks to Tecmo Super Bowl) and I was 8 when this happened all I really remeber about it was how I started crying afterwords.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite player in tecmo super bowl was "QB Bills".
Old 11-12-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about Reggie Miller against the Knicks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody
Old 11-12-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Huh? The game was played in Buffalo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was also a wild card game.
Everyone forgets the Bills had to destroy Pittsburgh & Miami on the road after that game to make the SB.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was the worst officated game ever. Many of Buffalo's second half touchdowns should have been called back, including one where the reciever ran out of bounds down the sidelines until the corner finally let him go (he was so obviously ineligible). He came back inbounds and "caught" a touchdown.

Unbelievable how bad that game was officiated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, what a bunch of crap. By "many" of their TD's you mean "that one". And it was a 1st down play at that - based on how Houston's D played for the rest of the game - what made you think they would've made a stop on that drive had the penalty been called?
Old 11-12-2005, 04:08 AM

The three that come to my mind:

1. Buffalo Bills leading the Oilers 35-3 in a playoff game and somehow blowing it. Of course, I had a bet on the Oilers.

2. 1982 NHL playoffs: My beloved Edmonton Oilers leading the LA Kings 5-0 in the third period and losing 6-5 in OT. That made the series 2-1 LA and they go on to win the best of 5 opening round series 3-2.

3. 2001 test cricket : Australia in India. Steve Waugh's last tour of India and last chance to conquer the final frontier i.e. by winning a test series in India. Aussies win the first test (3 test tour) in Mumbai with ridiculous ease. In the 2nd test in Calcutta, Aussies get 450 odd in the first innings and bowl out India for 200 odd and ask them to follow on. The test and series win is 99% locked. Except someone forgot to tell VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid.

The two start batting at the close of the 3rd day and maintain the partnership till the 5th morning. India racks up 600 odd: Laxman with 281 (the then Indian batting record since broken by Sehwag's 309) and Dravid (180). India then bowl out the Aussies in just over two sessions on the 5th day and secure an absolutely unbelievable win. Only the 3rd team in test cricket history to win after following on.

India goes on to win another thriller in Chennai in the third test and deny Waugh a victory on Indian soil.

Of course, the Aussies led by Ricky Ponting did go on to conquer the final frontier in 2004...sigh
Old 11-12-2005, 04:45 AM

Old 11-12-2005, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one
Old 11-12-2005, 05:07 PM

As good as some of these answers are, Jim MacLarens story trumps them all and I don't think it's really close.

[ QUOTE ]
In 1985, 22-year-old Jim MacLaren was a 6'5" 300-pound Yale all-American athlete and aspiring actor. His future appeared as unlimited as his ambitions. But one fall day in New York City, Jim was struck by a bus and pronounced dead. "They actually chalked my body on the street," he says.

Ultimately, Jim recovered, but his injuries were serious. Jim lost his left leg below the knee. He was devastated at first, but his courageous spirit liberated his body. After transforming his muscular build into the lean frame of a long-distance runner, Jim became the fastest one-legged endurance athlete on the planet, breaking the marathon world record in 3 hours 16 minutes, and setting the world record in the Ironman Triathlon. In every race, Jim finished in the top third of all contenders—even the able-bodied athletes he competed against.

Finally back at the top of his game, the unthinkable suddenly happened.

In the middle of an Ironman competition, on a closed course, a van struck Jim and threw him from his bike. At the hospital, doctors delivered a devastating blow. Jim had a broken neck, and he would never again move or feel from his chest down. Heartbroken, Jim could barely cope with the news that he was now quadriplegic. "I don't know if I can do this again," he thought.

Jim faced a choice—to lose himself to his body or to live beyond his so-called "disability." Told he would never move again, doctors only considered the severity of Jim's injuries—not the strength of his will. After enduring thousands of hours of painful rehab, he stunned and inspired all who knew him. His doctors call him a living miracle.

"Initially I was diagnosed as a complete quadriplegic," Jim says. "Complete means you'll get no motor or sensory from your injury and below. … Now I'm [an] incomplete [quadriplegic]. My legs are stronger. You [Oprah] and I, if we had to, could get up and walk out of here. It's not functional, [but] I do it every day for exercise. It's a miracle."

Despite Jim's progress in the years following his second accident, he reached a point in his recovery where his limitations weighed heavily on his soul—and he began a downward spiral that would take him to his ultimate rock bottom.

His body and spirit crushed, Jim developed a serious cocaine addiction. Even though he was physically independent, he struggled with his loss and feared the future. He moved to Hawaii and went on an eight-month cocaine binge. "It was my only drug of choice," he says, "the only thing that made the pain better."

One day Jim found himself in a drug-induced haze, on the same stretch of road where he had once crossed the finish line as an Ironman champion. "I realized that my spirit [was not] where it needs to be. I found my strength by saying and believing, 'I am not my body. I am a man.'

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot more to his story, he's a motivational speaker now for all sorts of people. Jim Rome did an hour long interview with him last week that was just absolutely incredible.