Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-20-2005, 03:49 PM

Default coffee makers...

i'm not much of a coffee drinker, and don't have much experience w/ coffee mackers... my dad wants a coffee maker that makes one or two cups.. i looked at a few and read some reviews on amazon and epinions, i didnt really learn much so now i'm turning to OOT.

does anyone use a 1 cup coffee maker? own one? do grocery stores sell the "pods"? what are the good brands?

thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: coffee makers...

We have been using a full size Krups for about 15 years and have been very happy witth them. If we only want 1-2 cups, we only use 1-2 scoops of beans and the approp. amt. of water.

For one cup on the road stuff, we have used a press, but I was never really happy with it.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:56 PM

I had a Black and Decker one-cupper...it pours directly into the cup. Very convenient for a college kid.

Now I've got a Starbucks four-cupper that pours into an insulated carafe, and I love it. No burner. It'll keep coffee hot for about five hours. I'm notorious for leaving coffee burners on, which ruins the coffee and messes up the carafe. This thing solves all those problems. I'm sure other manufacturers make something similar.

ScottieK
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Anything that doesnt actually use a burner is a good idea. Not only is it easy to forget to turn that burner off, but heating coffee that was is actually horrible for the taste. The kind of machine Scottie describes is great, but don't buy a Starbucks coffee maker. They're total pieces of crap. Find a Krups or something that does the exact same thing.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The kind of machine Scottie describes is great, but don't buy a Starbucks coffee maker. They're total pieces of crap. Find a Krups or something that does the exact same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it, but for the money I paid it should grind the beans before I wake up, put them in the basket, brew, pour into my cup AND add a little milk and one Splenda packet. That's what I get for the impulse buy :S

ScottieK
Old 12-20-2005, 06:22 PM

I work for the damn green machine, and lemme tell ya, the machines Starbucks sells are probably the biggest pieces of [censored] I've ever seen. They're overpriced, and cheaply produced. Great profit margin on those buggers - if they don't get returned. There's a huge biannual coffeemaker sale, and the $99 ones go on sale for like $75, and all the yuppie morons buy coffee makers. And half of them bring em back, because the machines are total pieces of [censored].

The two I've owned leaked all over my countertop, from the exact same goddamn spot. Bleh.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work for the damn green machine, and lemme tell ya, the machines Starbucks sells are probably the biggest pieces of [censored] I've ever seen. They're overpriced, and cheaply produced. Great profit margin on those buggers - if they don't get returned. There's a huge biannual coffeemaker sale, and the $99 ones go on sale for like $75, and all the yuppie morons buy coffee makers. And half of them bring em back, because the machines are total pieces of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

This I believe.

[ QUOTE ]
The two I've owned leaked all over my countertop, from the exact same goddamn spot. Bleh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Motherf#%$er! This one would overflow if I didn't set the basket in just right or if I overfilled it with grounds. Thanks for the scoop Yasher.

ScottieK
Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 AM

I've got the Black and Decker one cup coffee maker and I love it. I comes with a screen so you never have to buy filters. Since I only drink one cup of coffee a day (two if I end up working at home), this is perfect for me.

Mine was a gift, but I've seen them for around $20.

I've also got a carafe, but only break it out when family is in town and I need to make more than one cup at a time.