Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: dear God when will it end?

If I have to get up and get my food, I'm not tipping. Tipping is for:

Tattoos/Piercings
Waiters/Waitresess
Pizza Guys/Chinese Delivery

and that's it. Starbucks is so overpriced as it is, I wouldn't give them another dime. (Exception: I know someone working and they give me free coffee, then I tip)
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 PM

Congratulations. You have discovered the fact that panhandlers make more money than they would if they didn't panhandle.

Now the only question is hourly rate.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:23 PM

Tipping at Starbucks is not like tipping a bartender because at Starbucks there is an exact way they have to make your drink. Whereas a bartender might poor a little extra alcohol in your mixed drink, a barista is not going to hook up any extra espresso or probably even think that you would want any extra. Starbucks is not freehand drink making, they go to school and learn exact proportions for uniformity of product. I recommend stealing the tip jar and giving it to one of the people who ring the bells at storefronts. I would never tip a coffee maker, same as I don't tip a bartender for opening a beer. A tip is money for service above and beyond, and all too often it's expected. I have ZERO problem not tipping, and I have worked in the service industry before.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations. You have discovered the fact that panhandlers make more money than they would if they didn't panhandle.

Now the only question is hourly rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just made my point. Of course they make money at it, but it's still pathetic, just like putting the stupid styrofoam cup out on the counter at Starbucks. There are a lot of things one can do for money if he's really pathetic. For instance, I'll give you $20 to eat some dog poo. You'll have money, but you'll also still be pathetic.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You just made my point. Of course they make money at it, but it's still pathetic, just like putting the stupid styrofoam cup out on the counter at Starbucks. There are a lot of things one can do for money if he's really pathetic. For instance, I'll give you $20 to eat some dog poo. You'll have money, but you'll also still be pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "if it's a close situation". Is eating dog poo a close situation? Panhandling might be if the money means something to you. I'm sure that the money in the tip jar means something to the workers. Enough that they probably wouldn't sweat a thread or two in OOT.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said "if it's a close situation". Is eating dog poo a close situation? Panhandling might be if the money means something to you. I'm sure that the money in the tip jar means something to the workers. Enough that they probably wouldn't sweat a thread or two in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything so pathetic as begging inappropriately for money (ie. putting a cup on a Starbucks counter) is not close.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anything so pathetic as begging inappropriately for money (ie. putting a cup on a Starbucks counter) is not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have either a lot of money or a very low tolerance for people looking down on you.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:46 PM

This is a friendly reminder to always tip generously to your food delivery couriers.

That is all
Old 12-23-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must have either a lot of money or a very low tolerance for people looking down on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I just have a sense of what is an appropriate way to earn a living versus begging. As I said, doing this is pretty much the same thing as panhandling, which I also don't do. Not because I care what strangers think of me for doing it, but because I care what I would think of me for doing it.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:51 PM

Where do we stand on tipping caterers?

A) If you hired them?
B) If you're a guest, but the waiter goes out of his way to serve you?

Just curious,
Fink