Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:12 PM

Default $5 UB 15/30 Against Loose Fish

This hand occurs about 30 minutes into the tourney. I couldn't find the hand history, but suits don't matter and I remember the cards, so that won't be a problem. My read on the villain in this hand is as follows...He built up a stack to around 3500 very early on. He has seen at least 95% of the flops, I don't recall a hand that he folded. He called a raise from a player who had seen zero flops until half an hour in, and turned out to have AQ. He obviously likes to see flops. He also plays very weakly post flop. If he bets, and anybody raises ANY amount he's folded. He's done this over 12 times going into this hand, and his stack has dwindled down to 1500 at this point...

UTG folds
UTG+1 min-raises (60)
MP1, MP2, MP3, CO+1, CO, folds
Hero (K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) bets pot (225)
SB folds, BB folds
Villain calls

Ok, so I bet the pot with a crappy hand. I figured my hand was good against this particular player though, and since it folded to me I thought I'd be able to get headsup with him and most likely steal the pot from him.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, I flopped OESD so I check hoping to hit it on the turn, and if not possibly bluff the pot.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Ok brick, no flush draws, didn't help my hand much. At this point, he bets 250 into a 495 pot. Hero...??? Should I raise, if so how much, or is it too much of a gamble? Should I just call and fold the river if I don't connect? How about if he plays back, min-raises my min-raise, or pushes all in? Any advice is greatly appreciated, and this has gotten long enough so I'll just submit now.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: $5 UB 15/30 Against Loose Fish

Anyone..?

Oh, and if you would have done anything differently preflop or on the flop, please say so. I wasn't too fond of betting the pot, but I was in the mood as I have been in the past couple days to accumulate chips instead of just waiting around. With this mindset should I still have just folded?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:28 PM

I would have bet a good deal on the flop. Who knows what this guy might have called with. If he's weak post flop you might be able to chase him out.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:50 PM

I would flat call the turn. The board is dangerous and your draw is pretty weak on the turn. Just try to hit your hand or maybe bluff the river.

It is kind of standard to bet the flop with your open ended. This board is likely to have hit your opponent, so checking behind is OK.

I would never make a pot sized reraise with a junk hand in 15/30 level of a $5 MTT. The action is so loose at this point. You are likely to get reraised or get multiple callers.

I prefer to play solidly early on and get paid off for big hands preflop or postflop.

You are making good use of position, and this kind of play might work at a higher buyin and later stage of the tournament.

Random high card hands like K9o are good for going allin with shallow money, but not much else. I would prefer to make this play with a pair or suited connector or something, where I can flop something big.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.