Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 12:35 PM

Default So, the Zero Rake research begins.

I'm certain that someone will have posted this, but the very first port of call reveals the following.

[ QUOTE ]
Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.ACTIONPOKER.COM
NS2.ACTIONPOKER.COM

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone still need a reason not to play there?

Lori
Old 08-11-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: So, the Zero Rake research begins.

What's the significance of "NS1.ACTIONPOKER.COM"?

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:00 PM

There was a heated thread about this a while back:
Old 08-11-2004, 04:03 PM

I made a tiny deposit for some unknown reason a few weeks ago, haven't played a hand yet. The Neteller withdrawal comes up as Action Poker also.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:20 PM

Interesting that people are saying that Dutch has nothing to do with the site, that evidence seems pretty conclusive that he does.

Thanks Tim.

For the other poster, Actionpoker were the guys who ran GUTS poker.
They did pay some people.

Lori
Old 08-11-2004, 04:41 PM

I heard that action poker stiffed quite a few people.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard that action poker stiffed quite a few people.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be, I'm not really into the scene of bad card rooms to much and have never had any problems anywhere. If Zerorake goes under, I won't feel too bad losing my $26 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2004, 05:03 PM

Luckily all this stuff is before my time, except for Choice, but I'm not the type to get too involved with a fledgling new site, especially when I was just starting out.

So I want to take the time to thank Lori and all of the other "old timers" on this board for keeping this kind of information alive for us "newbies".
Old 08-11-2004, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone still need a reason not to play there?

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Lori, you've had more credibility with this newb than more or less anyone else on 2+2. I've benefited from your clear writing, insightful analysis, and enjoyed your wit as much as any of the lurkers around here. So while I very much doubt you'll care, and fully realizing that you owe me or anyone else nothing but your honest opinions, I wanted to pass along that your post disappointed.

While I tend to have a jaded, cynical, and slightly mistrustful perspective on most things (particularly in arenas where my and other people's money is on the line), I try to keep my mind open at least a crack and not jump to immediate conclusions. I believe there are others like me thinking that even if there's a chance (10%? 50%? 80%?) that this site crashes and burns, the upside to all online poker players for potential competition on rake is so great that maybe, just maybe, it could be better to give this specific site a shot rather than actively campaigning against it from the get-go. Warnings to potential players that there is risk seem 100% appropriate to me, definitive statements that imply only fools will tread there are over the top, IMO.

FWIW, I come down very squarely on the side of sympathizing with people like MS Sunshine who lost money at the hands of Dutch Boyd. I tend to be ambivalent regarding affiliates as long as they do not poison these waters with ill-disguised spam, while recognizing they have both a cost and benefit to the online poker community.

I abhor the ridiculous ZeroRake spamming and shilling on this board and I am not so naive to be unaware that ZR may be controlled by Ponzi-scheme-inclined bloodsuckers. That said, I've seen more than enough of those taking a holier-than-thou "I have quickly decided that this is BAD and therefore will attempt to pound anyone who has a different perspective into like-thinking", and to me they show up only a notch or two higher on the credibility ladder. Balance, intelligent analysis, objectivity, logic, and open-mindedness are virtues that while largely absent in the Bush administration IMO are also sadly lacking in this particular debate on 2+2.

I am a player and not a shill or affiliate, and I have benefited from the generous sharing of other players knowledge and time here on 2+2, and as such, I am on the side of what I think will ultimately benefit the players in the long run. I believe the Concept of lower or zero-rake online sites is a net Good. Can we please hold off on deciding whether this particular incarnation or execution of this concept (ZeroRake) is on the equivalent scale of evil as DutchBoyd-BinLaden-GeorgeSteinbrenner until we have something marginally solid?

Lori, you obviously deserved none of this vitriol based on a quickie post, and I apologize if my response would be more appropriate for a PM- I'm still unclear on the unwritten code of conduct here. I am also aware that this is a knee-jerk over-reaction of the highest order, but your comment to me was a microcosm both of what's good and bad about this forum. I, and I am sure many others who are less active on here, highly value and respect your opinion. I for one believe you have a great impact on people's perspectives and final judgement, and wanted to remind you of that fact and thank you for your good intentions.

(stepping off from soap box now)

Someone else who needs more
Old 08-11-2004, 05:21 PM

Go Lori !

and - welcome back, too.