Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Playing to piss people off - 72o

Anyone intentionally play a crappy hand and show it down, just to tilt the other players?

Edit: Every once in a while I raise crappy hands in late position, just for fun, and so that I can piss people off if by chance it hits.

Sorry, no converter for Bodog, but I'll try my best:

$1/$2 Full Ring Game
Hero is the button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG, UTG+1 Fold
UTG+2, UTG+3(Villian) Call
UTG +4, CO Fold

Hero Raises

SB Folds
Big Blind, UTG+2, UTG+3(Villian) Call

Pot= 8.25

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

3 Checks, Hero Bets
2 Folds, Villian Calls
Pot = $10

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villian Checks, Hero Bets, Villian Calls
Pot = $14

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villian Checks, Hero Bets, Villian Calls

Pot = $17.75

Hero shows 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Four of a kind, twos
Villain mucks 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Twos Full of Threes (Playing the board)

Villian and 3 other players berate Hero for the next 30 minutes, calling down every hand he plays to the river. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Playing to piss people off - 72o

Its main virtue is being well disguised when it hits.
I stab at it from lp once in a while especially sooted.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:06 PM

Raising pre-flop with 72o then showing it later was standard operating procedure for John Phan throughout this year's WSOP. No one tilted but he was just probably looking to set up traps down the road.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:35 PM

Getting those last two 2's is 1 in a thousand.
That said, with 2's and 3's on the board like that the following hands beat the villain: Any pocket pair, any hand containing a 3, any hand containing a 2.
Since he's got A,4 and there are 3 2's on the board that's roughly 200 hands that beat him, and the rest push, so each opponent is roughy 1 in 10 to beat normally.

While the 72o is a very unlikely hand for a player raise with, the pocket pairs (especially the high ones), are legitemate raises and any pocket pair beats him. Considering that you were raising every round, and he was calling *desipite the fact that you were very likely to have a stronger hand than him* indicates that the value of the bluff to induce calling was, at best, questionable.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:44 PM

Its a good idea sometimes ill bluff big with nothing when the table is tight because it loosens them up and most of the time I get away with it, so its a win win. The only thing is that your table seemed pretty loose.

[ QUOTE ]
Since he's got A,4 and there are 3 2's on the board that's roughly 200 hands that beat him, and the rest push, so each opponent is roughy 1 in 10 to beat normally.

[/ QUOTE ]

He called a bet in every street with A/4 I mean thats reallly loose and thats with them thinking you were solid, sounds like a good table already no need to get fancy good play should have done it.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone intentionally play a crappy hand and show it down, just to tilt the other players?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because for every time you get lucky, you put in a SB too many other times for it to be profitable. Also, you don't have to advertise to get Bodog players to call down.

Fwiw, the people that I've encountered who make these 'plays' tend to enjoy pissing people off more than winning $ and beating the game, which is very childish.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Tony,

I like the +PO value of these hands as well. (PO=Piss Off Value). Its kind of like EV but more fun to calculate. No harm in playing a hand like this every once in a while for image purposes. I like to pull this play off in NL more often than limit since I would prefer people to fold in limit. In NL I always show if I reraise with one of these hands and then wait for AA or KK.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising pre-flop with 72o then showing it later was standard operating procedure for John Phan throughout this year's WSOP. No one tilted but he was just probably looking to set up traps down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there is a 'correct' rate of bluffing, and against unknown opponents, you should bluff some. (Exactly how much to bluff is a difficult question in a game as complicated as hold-em.)

Advertising bluffs (when they work) is likely to have a psychological impact. Naively, you can expect it to create the impression that the player bluffs more than prudent, since he does not show real raises. Thus it might be worthwhile to play tight, and show all bluffs with the theory that you're playing tight while giving an impression of loseness (and thus winning on calls). Of course, this leads to mind games, since your opponent might be sophisticated and speculate that you're really playing tight and so on -- I suppose this is the infamous mind game. (In practice, we all know the appropriate tactic is to put the iocane into both glasses.) I would guess that Phan's goal was simply to get the opponents thinking about what he was doing instead of the game.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Never, EVER, piss off the fish. You don't want them to get up and leave. Keep them happy and laughing as they hand over their money.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never, EVER, piss off the fish. You don't want them to get up and leave. Keep them happy and laughing as they hand over their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between a fish getting pissed off and leaving and a fish getting pissed off, steaming, and tilt-lagging/calling-down-with-bottom-pair off the rest of his stack.