Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Religion is ethics for stupid people

Stupid people don't understand the concept of value of a human life, morality, etc.

Therefore, if there was no religion, stupid people would rob, murder, etc. as there is no "penalty" involved.

Religion is ethics and morality in a pretty story, dumbed down to the level of the masses so they can comprehend. So the only reason the dumb people don't commit murder is not to go to hell. Going to hell is the main part of religion.

Going to hell is the CORE of christianity. If the paragraph saying "you will go to hell" is erased from the bible, and the pope says on TV "we were wrong about going to hell, there is no hell" then faithfull catholics would sharply drop till it reached zero, and the religion would end instantly.

Therefore, religion is a good lie, as it serves like a crowd control. If there was no christianity or other religion with the hell-threat, then our civilization would break down to disorder, as stupid people would start killing each other.

The law is insuficient to deal with crazy dumb people. We need the religion with the hell penalty. I mean, criminals aren't afraid of the death penalty nowadays... you need to threat them with LIVING ETERNITY IN FIRE AND DOOM for them to respect other people.

Doesn't everyone agree?
Old 09-24-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Religion is ethics for stupid people

[ QUOTE ]
Stupid people don't understand the concept of value of a human life, morality, etc.

Therefore, if there was no religion, stupid people would rob, murder, etc. as there is no "penalty" involved.

Religion is ethics and morality in a pretty story, dumbed down to the level of the masses so they can comprehend. So the only reason the dumb people don't commit murder is not to go to hell. Going to hell is the main part of religion.

Going to hell is the CORE of christianity. If the paragraph saying "you will go to hell" is erased from the bible, and the pope says on TV "we were wrong about going to hell, there is no hell" then faithfull catholics would sharply drop till it reached zero, and the religion would end instantly.

Therefore, religion is a good lie, as it serves like a crowd control. If there was no christianity or other religion with the hell-threat, then our civilization would break down to disorder, as stupid people would start killing each other.

The law is insuficient to deal with crazy dumb people. We need the religion with the hell penalty. I mean, criminals aren't afraid of the death penalty nowadays... you need to threat them with LIVING ETERNITY IN FIRE AND DOOM for them to respect other people.

Doesn't everyone agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Everything you just said about religion has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not Christianity is true.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:24 AM

I don't believe in god or christianity and yet I value human life and have morals/ethics. I help old ladies cross the street and I live a respectable murder free life. Therefore, does this make me a super intelligent person who doesn't need religion and who is smarter than the "stupid people" who follow religion. Absolutely not. A lot of highly intelligent people follow religion and they are not "crazy dumb people". You're just saying that religious people are stupid and that without religion(with the eternal hell punnishment) the world would collapse and chaos would break out. How many people do you think there are in the world that believe in religion and the "hell punishment"? Better yet, how many people do you think have religion as the only thing holding them back from murdering everybody else? Your view of mankind is very misanthropic. Give mankind some credit. We're not all homicidal maniacs waiting to strike down our peers.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:21 AM

"Better yet, how many people do you think have religion as the only thing holding them back from murdering everybody else?"

First you really mean "if they could get away with it". And you are right. Most religious people don't need religion to stop them. But a surprising number THINK they do.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But a surprising number THINK they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I've never asked a religious person about his homicidal fantasies, but do religious people really think this way? Religious People, stick up for yourselves here
Old 09-24-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But a surprising number THINK they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? I've never asked a religious person about his homicidal fantasies, but do religious people really think this way? Religious People, stick up for yourselves here

[/ QUOTE ]I think what David was referring to was the typical response religious people make when hearing someone is atheist. "Without a God what is to prevent you from killing people if nothing matters." So much of the moral fabric of religious people is woven by their religious education that they become unable to reason that people are able to make any moral judgments without a god. It extends and permeates their entire being so thoroughly that all of lifes meaning is derived from god, and anyone who does not have a personal god would likely kill themselves, or so the reason goes. It is this assimilation of self that most religious people have that prevents them from ever truly examining the belief in God. When we on the board discuss the existance of god, it is impossible, at first, for one of a highly religious nature to not mistake the argument as one of the existence of himself.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:13 AM

IMO religion is ethics for stupid people, and ethics is for people who aren't stupid but also not extremely intelligent
Old 09-24-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO religion is ethics for stupid people, and ethics is for people who aren't stupid but also not extremely intelligent

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, let the geniuses run amok. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2005, 02:01 PM

The existence of god is NOT relevant.

What is relevant is the existence of HELL or not.

Because people are only religious because they are AFRAID of the PUNISHMENT.

If god existed, but did not punish people for their actions, then the whole purpouse of religion (to control society) would lose its meaning.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:29 PM

I agree.

You have managed to articulate a rage I have felt since the morning of the world.