Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 12:26 AM

Default River Decision with the Straight

Both villains are basic abc poker. Have not seen anything stand out but nothing stupid either.

My question is on the river. By the few hands i have posted you might be getting an impression that im weak/tight but maybe thats a leak i can fix. Whats my play when it gets back to me on the river?

I figured ep would call the one bet raise with most holdings but if i 3 bet he would fold and i would gain the one bet from lp on the call so theres no difference in profit. If i 3 bet and then get capped im prob looking at a full house or at best a chop.

Anyway enough rambling is this me just being weak/tight again or do i have a case for the call.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: River Decision with the Straight

I would probably raise for value here, since I see Jx far too often to just call. If he shows the boat, I grimace and watch my chips move in the wrong direction.

Am I too tight if I fold preflop here? I find that QJo is dominated far too often to call a raise out of position, even from the bb. But, I'm trying to bring up my vpip a couple of points, so this might be one of those hands that I could call instead of fold.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 AM

I think calling and going for the overcall is fine here.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 AM

The river puts a 4 straight onto the board so I would bet out too. If you reraise UTG will probably fold and you extract one more bet from CO unless he caps you. You may also lose to a Full house. I think it all depends on how likely UTG will overcall should you call. I guess I like overcalling better since the board is paired. He'll figure that he might win against 97 or 98. Hmmmm tough choice.

I also find PF questionable.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably raise for value here, since I see Jx far too often to just call. If he shows the boat, I grimace and watch my chips move in the wrong direction.

Am I too tight if I fold preflop here? I find that QJo is dominated far too often to call a raise out of position, even from the bb. But, I'm trying to bring up my vpip a couple of points, so this might be one of those hands that I could call instead of fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he does have Jx, which is a real possibility, we will only win 1 more bet by raising, (if UTG+1 will call one more, but not two), and that's assuming the CO will cap with that hand, which isn't a guarantee.

And I'm not wild about my hand against an early position raiser, but getting 5.5:1 I think it's okay as long as you don't get stuck.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:41 AM

Going for the overcall on the paired board is certainly a valid point...still, maybe it's just on pokerroom or something, but I seem to see people going hog-wild too often with just the higher end of the straight, but not the nut straight.

Noticing that these guys are ABC players though, I can buy the argument for just calling and going for the overcall.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:49 AM

A comment against what i did end up doing.
Seeing as the river was when lp finally woke up how feasable do you think it is that lp has a full house. I mean how often does he flip over a boat. With trips hes protecting his hand with all those draws. We would think atleast. How safe do you guys think I can that the boat is not really out there.