Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Bellhorn.

[ QUOTE ]
btw, you know that eric van now works for the red sox? pretty cool huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, there was some article on him in a magazine that was pretty interesting. i always read about these projects he and bill james and the lot are always doing for the sox and i'd just kill to see some of their findings. one of them had something to do with how the weather in boston in july/august/sept affected pitching and what sort of pitchers would thrive in that climate.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, you know that eric van now works for the red sox? pretty cool huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, there was some article on him in a magazine that was pretty interesting. i always read about these projects he and bill james and the lot are always doing for the sox and i'd just kill to see some of their findings. one of them had something to do with how the weather in boston in july/august/sept affected pitching and what sort of pitchers would thrive in that climate.

[/ QUOTE ]

i get goosebumps wondering about what kind of orginization the sox will have after this front office has its roots deeply embedded.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i get goosebumps wondering about what kind of orginization the sox will have after this front office has its roots deeply embedded.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got goosebumps after we got rid of Duquette. everything after that's been awesome.

edit: he did steal dLowe and Tek, which was nice. we used to bet on how heathcliff would blow saves. would it be walk, walk, 3-run HR? or walk, single, wild pitch? or maybe just walking in the tying run? it was never boring, at least.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:29 AM

I'm not disagreeing with the numbers. Some people in this thread are, I'm not. Obviously if Bellhorn keeps his average around .260, his SLG and OBP will be way more valuable than a few runners advancing during the course of a season. It is possible that if the stats junkies on here weren't so unbelivably smug, I might agree with them more often - your post was nicely free of that.

Though if his K's do drop with RISP, that's obviously far less frustrating. I wasn't aware of that.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People with weak arguements always have to stoop to personal insults.

[/ QUOTE ]

the argument is strong.

i would never insult you though. i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] toro [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

friendly debate is always a good thing. keeps the mind fresh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. My post wasn't directed at you and I hastily put that response together. Better to have said, if you believe you have a strong argument why do you feel the need to stoop to personal insults.

Oh, btw, "keeps the mind fresh", good one, just subtle enough. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well let's all just sit tight for a few days and see what team picks up arguably the best 2nd baseman in the AL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you that some team will pick him up. Maybe even the Yankees if no one else gets him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you are going to be right. The rumor is that the A's will pick him up as soon as he clears waivers.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We're selective about stats that actually matter. Strikeouts, on average, aren't all that much worse than regular outs. I'll be generous and say they're worth .03 runs less than a regular out. That means, if you replace all of Bellhorn's K's with balls in play, 177x.03 = 5.31 runs. Of course, last year, Alfonso Soriano struck out 121 times and Jeff Kent struck out 96 times. This year, Marcus Giles has already struck out 86 times. The best hitting players at every position usually strike out a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you replaced all his strikeouts with balls in play about 30% of them would be hits.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well let's all just sit tight for a few days and see what team picks up arguably the best 2nd baseman in the AL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee you that some team will pick him up. Maybe even the Yankees if no one else gets him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you are going to be right. The rumor is that the A's will pick him up as soon as he clears waivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure when he joins the A's he'll start hitting like he did last year. Another Jay Payton (who I saw was hitting 4th for the A's yesterday).
Old 08-29-2005, 02:16 PM

I don't understand why the A's would want to sign him. Ellis and Scutaro are both better at 2b.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:36 PM

the yankees are aquiring bellhorn. wtf.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/4820784