Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Is this Slow-Rolling or am I a Chump?

Random rant. I don't usually complain about anything at the poker table and am usually in very good spirits, but this frustrated me.

To make a long story short, I was playing a hand at Foxwoods 20/40 where I limped in in the cutoff with a small suited connector behind like 5 other limpers. The pot ended up being raised by the button, and we went to the flop 7 handed for a raised pot. I flopped open ended but there was a flush draw on the board. The flop ends up being capped, with all seven players in, two bets go in on the turn without any folds, and on the river I hit a straight that also made a flush possible. My straight was the second nut straight, but after the river was checked all the way to me I found a river value bet. Everyone called.

So, I quickly say "I have a straight but I don't have the diamonds" and expose my hand. No one responds for about five seconds. I start getting really excited thinking I'm about to drag this ridiculous 35 BB pot, and actually stand up and say "I would appreciate it is no one slow rolled me." A few people muck their hands, and about 15-20 seconds pass before a guy on my right turns over his hand, exposing the higher straight (which was a gutshot and frankly I wasn't expecting to see it).

I accused him of slow-rolling and said that that was very poor etiquette. His response was that "he was waiting for someone to show diamonds."

Why is it that everyone is so afraid to expose a loser that they are so inconsiderate of the others at the table.

So, was I justified in my claim this guy was slow-rolling or should I just shut up?

Remember, this was a 35BB pot.

Edit: Clarified that I exposed my hand first.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Is this Slow-Rolling or am I a Chump?

Being that you were the final bettor and you were called, you should have been the first one to show your cards.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:38 PM

I was. I turned my cards over very quickly and announced my hand. I hopefully made that clear in the original post.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was. I turned my cards over very quickly and announced my hand. I hopefully made that clear in the original post.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you didn't.
And the guy on your right, by custom, is the last person to show his hand. It starts with you and proceedes left.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:43 PM

Can somebody stake me for this game?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:45 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, this was a 35BB pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this really matter?

If I wasn't in the hand, I might've called to see all hands if they took that long.

I agree, get the friggin' hand over with. But you don't have to accuse anyone of anything. Especially if they haven't shown a history of it, nor the intent to actually slowroll. I'd give the bene of the doubt he wasn't doing it just to make you look bad. Many new players/casuals will get cautious at showdown on a big pot. Sometimes they need a little prodding along.

I think part of this being pissed is because you ended up losing the pot. I mean, would you really ask this if it happened to someone else that I"m sure it was done at some other point this table...

b
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Did he wait 15-20 seconds AFTER everyone else had folded, or did it just take 15-20 seconds for everyone to fold around to him? In the first case it's a slow roll, in the second, he has the right to wait for everyone else to fold to him before he shows. Granted, in his shoes I would probably table my higher straight right away, but I wouldn't call it slow rolling if he showed as soon as everyone else had folded.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 PM

I realize that this is true. But does anyone else not agree that people obsessively holding on to their hands to the very last moment when they can officially turn over their hand, while within the rules, is somewhat against the spirit/etiquette of the game.

The fact that it is a 35BB pot and that I lost of course matter. My thought is that the fact the pot was so large should encourage players to be a little bit more straightforward and upfront and not be obnoxious about exposing their hands.

FWIW, this player had been very slow to reveal his hand consistently throughout the night.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:48 PM

This game is so choice...

If you have the means, I highly recommend you pick one up...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this Slow-Rolling or am I a Chump?

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose:

(c) All of the above. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Let's try to get our favorite NYC 10/20 game going sometime this week -- what day(s) are good for you? I will talk to the "folks at the place" and try to get them to push one or two days in particular for the 10/20 LHE.