Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Bellagio 15/30 hand #1

The game is somewhat on the loose and wild side.

Preflop: I am three off the button. Player to my immediate right (RHO) open limps. He is an extremely weak player and can hold I wide variety of hands here. I just call with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Given the nature of the game and the blind structure, I don’t think I can succeed in isolating. The small blind calls and the big blind raises. We all call. Four to the flop. The big blind is capable of raising here with a relatively wide range of hands, and looks to be gambling.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The blinds check, RHO bets and I raise. All call. Four to the turn. When he calls the raise, BB is making faces indicating that he doesn’t like his hand and is preparing to lose some money. This isn’t an act. I guess that this probably means overcards, but it’s hard to be sure.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. It’s checked to me and I bet. The blinds call and RHO raises. I call and the blinds call.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The blinds check, RHO bets and I call.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 15/30 hand #1

If RHO is extremely weak, you can just fold to the turn raise. Very good chance you are drawing dead.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:05 PM

I like it. The river call is designed for overcalls in case your 2 pair is good, and loses less in case RHO has a straight, set or flush. You can probably dump the hand if one of the blinds check-raises.

Given your description of the weak player and his reaction on the flop betting, I'm guessing he has Q10 for the gutshot that made the nuts on the turn.

Garland
Old 08-02-2004, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If RHO is extremely weak, you can just fold to the turn raise. Very good chance you are drawing dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree with this sentiment.

Garland
Old 08-02-2004, 08:01 PM

Default CLARIFICATION ON THE HAND

I wish I could go edit the original post, but the maximum time has expired. What a pain.

Anyway, I'm not sure if my impercise use of language has caused some confusion here. When I said RHO was "weak" I just meant to say just that he was a poor player, not to use the word "weak" as it is used in the phrase "weak-tight". The latter interpretation didn't occur to me, or I would have used a different word. I'm not sure if that is how it is being interpreted (I suspect it might be since against this player there was less than a "very good chance" that I was drawing dead), but even if not others might read it that way.

In spite of that, drawing dead was a danger as was only having two out (non-diamond aces) with RHO holding 89 or 9J and someone else holding a diamond draw. So a fold still might have been best. I'm not sure. I definitely had to stop to think about it at the time and there is definitely a time when I would have routinely folded in this spot.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:44 PM

Default Results

Hope more people will respond. Anyway, here are the results:
After I called, both blinds folded. RHO won the pot with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. X was something small, maybe a five or so.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:18 AM

hi bobby

nice. well played.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:40 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Given the description, i'd fold the turn. The game is on the wild side so you could be raised behind you also. You could hit your hand on the river making a flush and be stuck. But this is also a 'weak' player getting active on a 'wilder than normal' table. Which usually means a big hand.

b
Old 08-03-2004, 01:42 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Results

He may have weak preflop standards, but RHO played postflop pretty well. This hand, anyway.

b
Old 08-03-2004, 06:03 AM

Call. A set of jacks isn't impossible for RHO based on what you've said about his play, and overcalls are certainly possible when the A hits. (So are check-raises: the SB's flush may have gotten there.)