Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Protecting the steal raise

Don't know how to use the converter. Online Stud high $5-10. I'd say my image is tight and, I really hate to say it because we all swear we're TAGS, somewhat aggressive.

3rd-
XX 6c Brings in for $2.
(8h Jd) Ah raises to $5.
xx Tc folds.
xx 9d folds.
xx Qc folds.
Bring in calls.

4th -
(8h Jd) Ah Ts bets $5.
xx 6c 8s raises to $10.
Raise to $15, call.

5th -
(8h Jd) Ah Ts 2C bets $10.
xx 6c 8s 2d folds.

Spewing? Sure. But I think there's merit in occasionally taking this line on a steal and seeing how willing they are. There has to be times they're just taking shots at you to see how willing you are. Comments?
Old 10-02-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Protecting the steal raise

Hey There (what the hell is your name anyway, or should I call you SA [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]),

To use the converter, go to this forum's FAQ and there is a link for it at the top. Click that and paste the Hand History into it for easy conversion. If this was on Party, you need to have the HH emailed to you to use it.

Raise on 3rd is ok (though I wouldn't do it everytime) b/c it's shorthanded, etc. In general, I think you're spewing but if you have a read the opponent is pretty aggro then you can try to outplay him I guess. On 4th, his board looks like a draw (flush, str8) so I'm actually surprised he folded to your 5th street bet. I guess he just had 8's and made you for aces so it worked this time. But I think with his board much of the time you're going to just be firing bet after bet into the pot without being sure if he's drawing or is just paying you with a pair. So, somewhat of a tight spot and I wouldn't tend to do it much without a read or occ. for randomness. You're at the table so play it as well as you can though.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2005, 08:26 PM

It's Steve, Jeff.

I've been playing some 15-30 holdem in the neighborhood (NYC) with a guy who's a regular in the Taj 75-150, 150-300 stud game. He's suppossed to be one of the better players. Name begins with St. Not Steve. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You've probably played with him. He can play holdem well so I'd imagine it's true with his main game.

Hopefully I'll get up the roll to take a shot at the 75 game. 30-60 Taj stud is great but the swings can set you back a while.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:52 PM

You have to have very little respect for money to succeed in these games as the splashing quotient is high (as is the suckout factor). My advice if you really want to try the 75...next time you win 2k or so at 30, take a shot at the big game with a rack of green. Only do this if it won't piss you off to turn a winning night into a moderate loser. The game is actually probably softer than the 30, but it's close.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2005, 03:00 AM

I would fold third most of the time. The ante is small, and with only five players, there's less to fight over than usual. Everyone behind you has a decent, unduplicated door card, and they should be inclined to put you on a steal.

Having taken the bull by the horns, you bet fourth, of course. When the other guy raises, it doesn't look very good for you. You can't just go around folding, because you'll get run over, but I would probably just call the raise and plan on folding fifth if I didn't buy any help.

Glad it worked out for you, though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]