Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: $50 NL - vs $25 NL

It's a risk/reward kind of issue. One pair hands... TPGK's... any non-monster hand played OOP...

Pot control on the flop/turn also makes turn/river decisions a lot easier and a lot less committing since you have to play it for less money... most of the time.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing at Party for about 6 weeks now.

I have played to date 2500 ish hands at $50 NL

and have played 1400 ish hands at $25 NL

Yes I realise this is a small sample size - however.

I am getting killed at $25 NL and am down $175 - (-25 BB/Hr)

but at $50 NL I am up $130 (5 BB/Hr)

I play the same way at either table.

I started out at $50NL and managed to lose my original buy in - bought in again - moved down a limit and lost a whole lot more. Finally I decided I'd take the last $50 of my bankroll and give the $50NL table one last shot...

Since moving back up I have recouped my 2nd buy in and am doing much better.

Aside from variance - is there anything I am likely to be doing wrong on the lower limit tables that can account for my awful results there?

Mark...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a small sample size. However, you should be able to beat these games with your eyes closed. If not, I strongly suggest posting some hands and reading through this forum thoroughly.

I made the move from mid-limit to small stakes hold em and found myself making some very fundamental errors.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:47 AM

Yeah, 25nl is a license to print money, you just need patience. Not a lot of meta game going on there. 50nl, isn't much tougher, though you need to give a little more action. Read Theory of Poker by S&M if you want to learn about the grand scheme of things in poker/pot size, not just NL Hold'em though. Harrington on Hold'em is for NLHE Tourneys, but he talks about ruining peoples odds a lot. The more you move up, the more you should be paying attention to position in relationship to the lags, and start folding more early position stuff when it's being raised pf a lot.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a bankroll of less than $300, you should be on the $5 and $10 beginners tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

this may well be true - but I don't like doing what I'm supposed to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Right now I am playing full ring tables - 1 table at a time I watch everything that happens - I take notes on how tight players are - and what they showdown. I review my play every day with PT.

Is it not better to learn to play at a higher limit table where players are a little better than the beginner tables?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it not better to learn to play at a higher limit table where players are a little better than the beginner tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common fallacy. Is it better for your 10th grade son to learn basketball by playing against other 10th graders or by having him play against the Lakers? If he can't play on a 10th grade level, how is he supposed to own Kobe and Co?

If you can't beat the NL $50's, you will get crushed at NL $200 where there are players who are actually pretty good. You will just lose your money quicker against better players.

Your sample size is so small that there is no way to determine whether you are beating or losing at either level.

Get Pokertracker and plug your leaks. Post some hands that lost (and won) here without the results. See if your decision agrees with the consensus. There are some good players who will help you. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Many semi good players cannot beat the lowest levels because to play them most profitely is not very "easy". You must be able to fold TPTK against many limpers often, strong draws go up in value. Trycky moves is almost always waste of time (and money) etc etc.

Also its easier to tilt because big outdraws are much more ordinary.

But IF you can take advantage of all the poor players mistakes in a good way you can absolutely beat the game with more bb/100 than at a higher level.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a common fallacy. Is it better for your 10th grade son to learn basketball by playing against other 10th graders or by having him play against the Lakers? If he can't play on a 10th grade level, how is he supposed to own Kobe and Co?

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for your comments - your analogy goes a bit too far tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - is it better for your 10th grade son to play basketball against other 10th graders - or against 12th graders - who will more than likely outreach/outjump/outplay - but provided your son is stubborn - won't give up or get so frustrated with his game that his emotions start affecting his play...

[ QUOTE ]

If you can't beat the NL $50's, you will get crushed at NL $200 where there are players who are actually pretty good. You will just lose your money quicker against better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why altho I am happy to play $50 NL I am not going to move up just yet - at least till I start getting much better results.

I shall give this thread a rest now and post some hands later so you can all slate me on how I actually play - and not where I play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your analogy goes a bit too far tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] -

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am glad you took my post in context. Welcome to the board.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With a bankroll of less than $300, you should be on the $5 and $10 beginners tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

this may well be true - but I don't like doing what I'm supposed to [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then realize that when you're underbankrolled, you are supposed to go broke.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then realize that when you're underbankrolled, you are supposed to go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think you have to play NL10 just because you have $300 bankroll, is not that tough to replace the money if he goes broke. But he should not play higher than NL25 (maybe a shots or two at NL50 is ok as well).