Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: how can you be a fan of this sport?

[ QUOTE ]
A TV behind me at the card room had an english club soccer game on it. At one point I looked up and saw on the CC "soandso has only had 17 points scored against them in the past 34 games" or something close.

W-T-F?

Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]Ummm... you do realize that you're posting this on a website whose focus involves a game where you sit around an oval table for hours on end doing nothing but looking at a pair of cards and tossing them into the center of the table most of the time, right?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite sport to play is soccer. My favorite sport to watch is football. Soccer is okay to watch but there arent really home teams I can root for. The only games I see on TV are on the spanish channel with teams from places that I don't even know where they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. I've been playing soccer since I was 5 years old, I've even got intramural games tonight and tommorow, and I might be joining my girlfriends co-ed league.

I love playing soccer but something about watching it bores the [censored] out of me. I'd rather watch footaball, then basketball, then like darts and figure skating and 100 other sports, then baseball.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Tickets to the Super Bowl often fetch $3500 or more. I don't think we're that wrong.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is no other sport as complex as football, and it isn't even close

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with this statement. Football is also complex on socio-cultural and intellectual levels, which is often further compounded by diverse politico-religious implications.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tickets to the Super Bowl often fetch $3500 or more. I don't think we're that wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dread to think what World Cup Final tickets will fetch on the black market. I do know that it'll attract a bigger TV audience than the Super Bowl.

The application stage referred to above was for 'blind' applications. The qualifiers aren't known yet so the only choices were to apply for tickets for an unknown game (ie Match 12 at x venue on y date) or to apply for a 'team book' of tickets for all matches involving a particular country, assuming they qualify. Many people will wait for the later application stages before trying to buy tickets.

Sheriff
Old 04-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Most of the world doesn't bathe regularly or brush their teeth (no offense Bruiser). Just because they don't, doesn't mean I shouldn't. Just because "most of the world" does something doesn't means it's not stupid.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most Europeians who don't like baseball have never watched it in the right environment. link

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree. I am huge baseball and soccer fan.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(IMO, many of the offenses for which yellow cards are issued do not warrent suspensions even if they are committed a hundred times. More often than most soccer fans would like to admit, yellow cards are issued on plays that shouldn't even have have been fouls.)

[/ QUOTE ]

What you don't understand is that cards are not meant to be used as "punishment." Cards are one of the few tools referees have to work with to manage the game effectively. If a ref sees things are heating up, a well timed yellow card on what you might say was an undeserving foul can bring the game back into order. Players know you're watching and they won't go for the hard foul next time. It's hard for people who haven't played or reffed to understand the intricacies involved in being a soccer center official.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:16 PM

Its clear to me that the best sport in the world is rugby. Note I didnt say most popular or most watched. Just the best. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]