Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:40 PM

Default He donked the Axx flop I probably hit

BB is 37.42/17.18/1.51, 163 hands

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

I called the flop planning to raise a non-heart turn, then I end up calling a heart river donk anyways. Whatever that means.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: He donked the Axx flop I probably hit

I think you are usually beat on the river. Most of the time I dont think its the flush tho, but some [censored] ace or two pair.

These hands are the hands I struggle with the most. Where Ive got some shodown value and have shown aggresion, but the Ahole bets into me again anyway.

Hopefully some of the good players respond to this thread, as I'd like to know what they do. Typically with less than top pair against an unknown (dunno what he donks) ive just started trying to get to showdown as cheaply as possibly. So I call the whole way. Or if he isnt a total fucktard and I can get away with it, I raise the flop, bet the turn, and check behind the river. I dunno, maybe thats to weak tight, or to calling station, but like I said this is my biggest struggle.

oh, and I like the stat reads, why not go to the thousands on the decimal tho [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 12:55 PM

I've been either folding the turn or just calling the whole way, depending on what I've seen from the guy. Here's a thread on a similar situation:

here
Old 09-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Yeah I actually replied to that thread a few minutes ago :-p

I fluctuate between this line I took here and calling down, though of course it depends on the board and opponent. I think a calldown in Entity's KQ hand is more preferable than in my hand since free cards are slightly less dangerous (no overs to his made pair and he's got the backdoor flush in case he's against a flopped flush draw).
Old 09-23-2005, 01:04 PM

I also go back and forth here against unknowns. If I raise I normally do it on the flop and if they lead the turn again dump it. I am probably giving up something against an unknown because you do encounter an idiot with 55 or J9 here ocasionally. It just sucks so hard to raise the turn and get lead into again on the river that I try to avoid it against a total unknown, unless I'm going to welcome that river lead.

People who lead into me on every street make me want to kill things.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:12 PM

Sorry, didn't see you replied. Good point about the overcards. I still like just calling down though.

If you raise the turn, I think it has to be with the intention of folding the river if he bets again. Especially that river. He either had an A or a straight or flush draw and they all got there. Maybe he has a weaker jack, i do'nt know.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also go back and forth here against unknowns. If I raise I normally do it on the flop and if they lead the turn again dump it. I am probably giving up something against an unknown because you do encounter an idiot with 55 or J9 here ocasionally. It just sucks so hard to raise the turn and get lead into again on the river that I try to avoid it against a total unknown, unless I'm going to welcome that river lead.

People who lead into me on every street make me want to kill things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the turn raise, what's the point?

get information? that can be expensive information
make him pay to draw? well, if you could be sure he would call with 5 or 6 outs, then sure, but if he has 5 or 6 outs only anyways in this pot his equity is pretty small, why not induce another bluff on the river and avoid the 3 bet when you are crushed?

the turn is a call,
the river you want 1 bet to go in. if he is good enough to c/r on the river here with an ace you need another table unless the rest of it is bad.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:47 PM

stox is right on the money, call turn.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:10 PM

Yes, listen to stox. Call down, bet river if checked to.