Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2003, 08:59 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default biggest pots thread! (thin excuse to post mine)

i have to make an excuse to post this because in 4 years of online play, i've never seen a 20/40 pot hit 1500 (i won 1400 and change with aces full once, and saw a slightly bigger hand where one guy flopped the nut flush, the other guy flopped a flush with an open-ended straight flush draw, and another guy flopped the nut straight).

so anyway, here's my useless chest thump. feel free to add your own! at least i'll listen [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

10-handed online 20/40. utg limps, utg+1 limps, i limp with 77, next player limps, next player limps, cutoff folds, button raises, sb calls, bb calls, utg reraises, utg+1 calls, i call...calls back around to the sb who caps. 8 players, capped preflop.

flop comes down 7c 3h Tc. sb checks, bb checks, utg bets, utg+1 raises, i cold call, everybody but the bb stays in, utg 3bets, i cap, everybody stays in. 7 players, capped flop.

turn brings the innocuous 2s. sb checks, utg checks, utg+1 bets, i raise, 2 cold call, 1 drops, everyone else calls. 6 players, 2 bets on the turn.

river brings the Td. sb checks, utg checks, utg+1 bets, i raise, 2 fold, sb cold calls, utg folds, utg+1 3bets, i cap, both opponents call.

my sevens full takes down a $2157 pot. utg+1 had 33 for threes full, and the sb had pocket nines for 2 pair.

yay for me [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Re: biggest pots thread! (thin excuse to post mine)

NH SIR!

That's insane. Only online. I bet 3's full was -pissed- [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

My closest story is from a place called the Blue Boy. Those who play in Vancouver know the place that I'm talking about...stories from there often end or begin with the phrase "Only at the Blue Boy...sigh".

Anyway they have this rule there that if you straddle, the straddle does not count as a raise towards the cap. I was playing 4-8 with a forced straddle, so I posted my 8 dollar straddle. The next player to act posted a 12 dollar straddle. Someone in middle position asked if it counted towards the straddle, and the dealer (backed by the floorperson) said no.

So the next four people to act straddled as well.

It was pretty funny to hear the dealer say "twenty-four to call, twenty eight to raise" The first player to act raised. Capped eight ways for ten bets each. 326 in the pot pre-flop (the blinds folded). I had K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] and we saw a flop of T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

-Diplomat.

p.s. I MISSED
Old 04-13-2003, 10:08 PM

Wow, that's a pretty sweet pot! You must have blown your load. The largest pot I've ever scooped(BB-wise) was a few years back at a wild 5-10 game. This game was stupidly aggressive with straddles and re-straddles every time preflop. I played ludicrously tight and after hours of folding dragged a $760 pot, 76 BB's!!!! I had top boat versus second boat versus 2 turned flushes(nut and 2nd nut). I remember saying to myself, "Oh my dear Lord please pair the board and I'll never sin again." Needless to say the river paired up the board and I have sinned many times since. I truly wonder what all the other morons were jamming the pot with.

PokerPrince
Old 04-13-2003, 11:05 PM

hi astro
congradulations on a great win!
Old 04-14-2003, 01:07 AM

Wow... very nice. LOL at pocket 9's... he played like a champ. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 01:26 AM

When the top card on the board pairs, his call is stronger. The other two are, of course, pumping it to try to take it off him. One has QJs or some other hand, and the other has A7o.

Or not. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 09:27 AM

Hey AstroGlide;

You probably hold the record pot in terms of units. I came very close to your $2,157 $20/40 pot, but three of my opponents went all-in before the final showdown (they ran out of chips, not timed out). My pot might have exceeded your $2,157 if they had bigger stacks before the deal.

Anyway, most of the info below, I've cut-and-pasted from an old 2+2 post I made back in beginning of 2001.

$1,872 POT won by AcesFull at Paradise Poker on January 6, 2001. $20/40 Texas Holdem.

This is the biggest pot (in terms of units) I've won online or in a real cardroom. It involves set over set over set!! I flop the top set, another player flops second set and a third player TURNS the bottom set. It is capped before the flop with seven players. It is three-bets on the flop for five players with the remaining two other players being all-in for $55 (snakem) and $25 (poke her?). Four players take the turn card for a four-bet-cap. On the river card, three players are in for 3-bets with JohnT (he turned bottom set of threes)placed allin for $35.

There are three side pots and a main pot:
Pot: $752 | Side pot 1: $180 | Side pot 2: $770 | Side pot 3: $170

AcesFull bet $420, collected $1,872, net +$1,452 (showed hand) [ 9d 9s ] (a full house, nines full of fives).

(post note: in a latter 2+2 post, Angelina congratulated me on the pot and said she had Jacks)
AcesFull

-----------------------------------------------------
Game #42688311 - $20/$40 Hold'em - 2001/01/06-15:39:33 (CST)
Table "Bonaire" (real money) -- Seat 1 is the button
Seat 1: poke her? ($105 in chips)
Seat 2: AcesFull ($787 in chips)
Seat 3: Flopoholic ($2,019 in chips)
Seat 4: marylu ($1,044.50 in chips)
Seat 5: 65739800 ($1,658 in chips)
Seat 6: timmak ($1,386.50 in chips)
Seat 7: John.T ($335 in chips)
Seat 8: snakem ($135 in chips)
Seat 9: Angelina ($2,204 in chips)
Seat 10: nobrainner ($1,875 in chips)
AcesFull: Post Small Blind ($10)
Flopoholic: Post Big Blind ($20)
Dealt to AcesFull [ 9d ]
Dealt to AcesFull [ 9s ]
marylu : Call ($20)
65739800: Fold
timmak : Call ($20)
John.T : Call ($20)
snakem : Raise ($40)
Angelina: Raise ($60)
nobrainner: Fold
poke her?: Call ($60)
AcesFull: Call ($50)
Flopoholic: Fold
marylu : Call ($40)
timmak : Call ($40)
John.T : Call ($40)
snakem : Raise ($40)
Angelina: Call ($20)
poke her?: Call ($20)
AcesFull: Call ($20)
*** FLOP *** : [ 5s 8s 9h ]
AcesFull: Bet ($20)
marylu : Raise ($40)
timmak : Call ($40)
65739800 said, "angie you like the action?"
snakem : Raise All-in ($55)
Angelina: Call ($55)
poke her?: Call All-in ($25)
AcesFull: Raise ($40)
Angelina said, "sure"
65739800 said, "3 side pots"
Angelina: Call ($5)
*** TURN *** : [ 5s 8s 9h ] [ 3c ]
AcesFull: Bet ($40)
marylu : Raise ($80)
65739800 said, "go get em girl"
timmak : Call ($80)
John.T : Raise ($120)
Angelina said, "duh"
Angelina: Fold
AcesFull: Raise ($120)
marylu : Call ($80)
timmak : Call ($80)
*** RIVER *** : [ 5s 8s 9h 3c ] [ 5d ]
AcesFull: Bet ($40)
marylu : Raise ($80)
timmak : Fold
John.T : Call All-in ($35)
AcesFull: Raise ($80)
marylu : Call ($40)
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $752 | Side pot 1: $180 | Side pot 2: $770 | Side pot 3: $170 | Rake: $3
Board: [ 5s 8s 9h 3c 5d ]
poke her? lost $105 (showed hand) [ 4d 6d ] (a pair of fives)
AcesFull bet $420, collected $1,872, net +$1,452 (showed hand) [ 9d 9s ] (a full house, nines full of fives)
Flopoholic lost $20 (folded)
marylu lost $420 [ 8c 8h ] (a full house, eights full of fives)
65739800 didn't bet (folded)
timmak lost $300 (folded) (Obviously a flush and/or draw straight, folding on river but taking all the heat before that)
John.T lost $335 (showed hand) [ 3d 3s ] (a full house, threes full of fives)
snakem lost $135 (showed hand) [ Td Ad ] (a pair of fives)
Angelina lost $140 (folded)
nobrainner didn't bet (folded)
-----------------------------------------------------

Old 04-14-2003, 10:06 AM

Default How about with 1 pair?

I won a 28 bet pot last year when I used to play online with pocket aces (of course). It was 7 way for 4 bets a piece, I was on the button and me and the cutoff did all the preflop raising. Only 1 bet went into it on the flop, from the cutoff, as I was going to raise the turn to knock people out. Of course... 3 people coldcalled 2 bets on the turn + the cutoff, and the river was an offsuit deuce and a total brick, and checked around to me and the cutoff with kings and some guy with turned top pair of jacks paid me off. Of course this was $2/$4 but meh [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Oddly enough I don't think I've ever won a really monsterous pot, like 40+ big bets, although a few weeks ago I was witness to one of about that size, with a 5-bet capped turn between nut flush, 2nd nut flush w/ straight flush draw, some idiot with a 5-high flush, and some other idiot with two pair which of course got there on the river [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2003, 12:38 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

Hello XXX,

Wow, that was some action in that pot! I have seen some comparable pots in my time here but none that I can rember being that big.

Congratulations!

Best Regards,

Travis,
Paradise Poker Support

www.ParadisePoker.com
Old 04-14-2003, 01:10 PM

the 'duh' is classic [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]